Tons of questions: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fishgirl

Hey guys! tons of q's here!
I have a newly set-up 75 gallon with 80 lbs of nature's ocean live sand. Since this is of course NOT a dsb, should I leave the sand alone and not touch it, or should I buy sifters and detritivores? It make just under a 3" layer.
I have had my prizm skimmer, rio powerheads, and pc lights on the whole time since I put the 75 lbs of rock and the sand in the tank a couple weeks ago. Now I read that you're not supposed to put the lights on while you're cureing the rock b/c of an aglea bloom - well I sure have one - brown everywhere!! It rubs off easily, but underneath the rock looks white and chalky - I see no signs of plants, corraline, anything live on the rock but brown diatoms!! I'm mad at the company that sent me the rock - I was suspicious when I diudn't see much on the rock - but I fugured I knew nothing cuz I'd never seen live rock that had just been shipped before. Now I think it's beacuse the company took a week to ship it to me! My life's savings as a teenager down the drain!?!?!?!?
It's been over a couple weeks and I tested today and there is 0 ammonia, trace of nirtites and 20 on nitrates! I thought the cycle would go pretty fast, what's with all the 'trate's? I want to order my clean up crew to clean up the algea, but there's still trates! Why? Shouldn't all that LS be taking care of that?
There still seems to be tons of dirt in there (the skimmer's getting a workout) so today I put on a mechanical filter with no carbon or bio sponge; just the white filter medis to catch some more large wast particles - is this bad? IT will only be for a few days but I did not know if it would mess up the whole berlin system I was going for?
PLEASE! Any answers will be a lifesaver - thank you!
-Jean

fishgirl

One MORE question!
Should I have my two rio 600 powrhead on high at all times? I don't know - are you supposed to have circuation like that or is that disturbing to the enviornment - it looks kinda strong to me. Also, where are you supposed to place them? I have then right at the surface on either side of the tank angled in to the center.
Thanks!

mr . salty

Sounds like your setup is pretty much on a normal track too me.The nitrates are/and will be present till the sand bed is a bit more established.The rock will eventually come to life,but it wouldn't hurt to add one or two pieces of GOOD ROCK.This good rock will seed the stuff you have in the tank...Also,this brown algae is normal after a cycle.You should go ahead and get the cleanup crew in there now...You may also want to start saving up for some more sand..It doesn't need to be live sand,just try to get closer to 4-5 inches for a good deep sand bed...I also don't see a problem running the machanical filter for awhile.

Hi fishgirl, first with the powerheads you need top circulation and I find bottom circulation very benificial too. That way you get no dead spots on the bottom, if it is not moveing things will accumalate. for the adding of cleanup critters... I would first shut off the skimmer and give your tank some more time,Skimming is very important but if you run it during the cycle it removes to many of the good things that make a good cycle, also did you cycle your tank with just the live rock?? and what did the live rock smell like when you first recieved it?? And did your tank spike hard at anytime??..let us know...fixit

fishgirl

First off thanks for all the help guys - just as I thought I was an expert on fish-only I go and start the reef thing! :rolleyes:
Yes, I cyled it with just the live rock and live sand. How soon will the bloom go away? Won't the 'trates hurt the little shrimps and crabs if I get them now? I'm afraid of shutting off the skimmer b/c it's picking up so much dirt I figure I really needed it! When I got the LR it didn't smell very bad, but after a few days in my tank it did have an awful smell that has subdued some now (the first few days my skimmer wasn't working so it was just the powerheads) It is supposed to smell or not?
Yeah, I was thinking of buying a few peices of the extra-nice hand picked stuff on top (maybe 5-10 lbs). I also was thinking of adding kent coral-vite and essential elements besides the zoe vitamins. Will these help the corraline (if there is any)? thanks again!

fishgirl

also, should I get the detritivores and sifters? If so, what should i get for a 2-3" nature's ocean sandbed? Is there stuff already in there?
or should I try and not diturb the bed at all?

Hi fishgirl, I myself dont like skimming during a cycle. too many nutrients are removed and you need a good cycle so when you do add fish slowly you dont get a new cycle, and this will happen if you add fish too qickly, 1-2 small fish per month or one medium.This way your tank can handle it. Our 200 gallon took 6 weeks to cycle and it was a hard one,,but know we have awsume water conditions even with the fish load we have, also it is easier to keep a larger tanks water conditions. You should not need to add any additives yet other than to keep your calcium around 450 if you plan on keeping corals. The brown algea wont go away by itself you will need a cleanup crew crabs, snails. for 2-3 inches of sand right now I wouldnt worry about sifters yet, the live sand has millions of microscopic bacteria in it. In the future when you do get sifters I myself like little cucumbers, some will disagree but they do a good job ,I have a small one in our reef and a foot long in our 200 gallon. You dont want to sift or stir new sand yet you want to let it get good and saturated with more bacteria{sand sifters eat this stuff and, would probly starve to death in a new setup..hope this helps...anymore help just holler...cya..fixit ;)

nicescallop

heres an idea - dont follow all the advice you here! EX: im 35 gallon tank just got cycled, how? 1 orange tailed damsel, crushed coral substrate,8.5 pounds base live rock, and 3 pounds live rock. Let sit with fluval 204 for 1 month and tada! nirates:0 ammonia:0 and PH 7.9 :)

-shawn-

fishgirl, follow the advice given from the sharks, they really know what they're talking about. I setup a 6 gallon nano about a month ago. I had an, Eclipse mechanical filter with just white filtering material (no carbon), 1.5 inch live sand (for limited space it is not 4 inches), about 8 lbs of live rock for cycle. And it took about a week to completely cycle.
Stick with sharks...they don't always bite ya (if you know what I mean). And good luck with your tank.
--Shawn--

clownman

I have to somewhat disagree with H20-BOY :D
Although Sharks are cool, but per my understanding (they are only Shark based on the number of their posts...Titan Triggers and so on are next to Shark (don't know exactly how many post indicates who is who)
When a new member joins, he or she becomes "Red Coris Wrasse" (but not necessarily they are newbie) One person could be in this hobby for 20 years but just decided to join yesterday; he or she doesn't become Shark but a "Red Coris Wrasse"
Consequently, a Shark or other big fishes would know more as they read and post a lot in this forum.
Best thing to do, read a lot of posts and see who do you want to listen the most.
I on the other hand a Red Coris Wrasse who is not only a newbie to this forum but also to the hobby.
Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Clownman

fishgirl

Clownman, you are only partially right. As you can see, I've been with this board for well over a year and have graduated to the level just below shark, and this has only to do with posts as do all the other levels. But when adiministrators look for someone qualified to be a "shark", they not only look at the number of posts but the quality. The sharks at this board almost always have well thought-out experience-based posts, and I greatly appreciate thier advice! (Thank you! :) ) We may not always agree with them, but on the whole I think they do thier job well.
...Back to the subject.... Should I turn off the skimmer now, and order my cleaners now? The brown algea is starting to subside - maybe the trates are down now??? I should go test but I'm swamped with homework! talk to y'all later!

I wouldnt shut it off now let it go and I would add a cleaning crew. Just when you get the nitrates down preferably zero or close to it [its hard to keep absolute zero] To add fish Very slow and you should be OK. cya...fixit :)