too good to be true protein skimming!

neoreef

I stuck a Aqua C remora on my tank to eventually replace the red sea prism, but for now, just to get broken in. It is producing foam, but not enought to get into the cup, however, my water is suddenly noticably free of surface film. I am not skimming into the remora, just have the MJ1200 stuck in the water, hanging there. I did not expect immediate results, but there is no other reason the water should look this good. I can hardly wait until I start getting skimmate!:)

T

tdash911

Hi: I'm new to this board and would appreciate some help with buying a new protein skimmer. I have a CPR Backpack but it does not work that well and is to small for my 80 reef tank. I want to hang the skimmer on my sump, ( not much room in there ). I'm not saying my funds are endless but I want to buy the proper unit. I am looking at the Remora Pro. Has anyone had any experience with this. Thank You T

neoreef

Hi Tdash, and welcome to Saltwaterfish.com.
Your questions are good ones and beyond my expertise. You may wish to start a new thread or even do a search on protein skimmers to read what others have already said about the latest models, etc.
This is a fun place to read up on our hobby, and I hope you enjoy your time spent here.

jbanks

Hi Tdash911,
I just set up the remora PRO in my system this past Friday. My tank is a 120 and my sump is a 30. After all my calculations, at most minus the volume of water that is taken up by my DSB and 190 pounds of live rock, I might have 110 gallons and I stress "might". The Remora pro kicked right in and started producing foam on my 7 month old reef. I have not used a skimmer up to now. The only thing is that if you plan on getting a remora to hang-on your sump, it is suggested that you get a stronger pump becauae of the difference in head pressure. I went with a Mag 7. The good thing is, the larger the pump, the more efficient the skimmer s goint to be because there will be more water agitation becuase of the added pressure.
I did not go with the in sump Urchin Pro (Same pricing as the Remora), which would have been ideal because I have a DSB in my sump as well. If you do not have a DSB in your sump, the Remora Urchin Pro may be the way to go and will not require you to up the pump beyond the Mag 3, which is the best packaged option. From what I understand from others, the MAG pump is the ay to go.
Best of luck to you!

boomper

I also highly recommend the Aqua C Remora, it works extremely well as soon as you start it and once it kicks in your water clarity increases dramatically.

T

tdash911

Thanks for the opinions. I ordered a remora pro today with the mag pump upgrade. T

jbanks

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong. At seven months in the hobbie I am still learning and very green. Protein skimmers help remove desolved nutrients in your water thus, helping to lower nitrates. Placing Macro alage in your sump or directly in your tank can also help lower your nitrates. A good macro to use is called "chaetomorpha". Together with regular water changes, you should be able to get your nitrate problem in check.
Good luck.