Too many fish?????

jelezoglo

We just bought a 55 gl tank and would like to know how many fishes would fit in it. This is a list of the fishes we like:
Blue Koran Angle-Juvenile (2-3")
Longnose Butterfly (3")
2-Percula Clowns (1-2")
Blue Hippo Tang- (3-4")
Mandarin Dragonet - Green (3-4")
Boxing crab (1")
We already have:
1 arrow crab
1 cleaning shrimp
1 Sand Sifting Star
cleaning crew
50 lbs of live rock and 60 lbs of live sand
Please help!!!!!!!! We know we really can't have all of this on this tank, but let us know what would be the best combination. We are reaaaaally new at this.
:help: :help:

fedukeford

no to the tang, angel, and butterfly, start thinking of smaller fish, adn the dragonnet will need to be added only if you have 100lbs of LR, adn the tank is 1 year old

reeffreak9

Has your tank cycled yet? I would'nt add any fishes till it does. I would pass on the mandarin, too. I had one in my 55gal, and could'nt get him to take to frozen food. (they eat pods, that grow on the lr in well established tanks) Unfortunately, I lost mine after about a month. I did'nt have any pods, and like I said I could'nt get him to take to anything else.
And, I've been told that when they die they can become toxic to your tank. I did'nt have any problem with toxins, but I woul'nt reccomend chancing it.
The hippo tang will definately outgrow a 55gal. Unless you plan on a bigger tank soon, I would stick to smaller fishes too.
Good luck! Keep us posted on your prgress!

ghettotang

HEy have your 55gal tank has completed the cycle. If not I would suggest let it complete the cycle before you add new fish. The list of fish that your putting on the 55gal it's too much. You might want to considered small fish like medium size yellow tang, royal gramma, few damsels, and other small to medium fish. :happyfish
Well Good Luck!!!!!

jelezoglo

Originally Posted by reeffreak9
Has your tank cycled yet? I would'nt add any fishes till it does. I would pass on the mandarin, too. I had one in my 55gal, and could'nt get him to take to frozen food. (they eat pods, that grow on the lr in well established tanks) Unfortunately, I lost mine after about a month. I did'nt have any pods, and like I said I could'nt get him to take to anything else.
And, I've been told that when they die they can become toxic to your tank. I did'nt have any problem with toxins, but I woul'nt reccomend chancing it.
The hippo tang will definately outgrow a 55gal. Unless you plan on a bigger tank soon, I would stick to smaller fishes too.
Good luck! Keep us posted on your prgress!
NO, we are still cycling it. Our inverts are on our 20gl tank, and we have not purchased any fish yet. We are trying to research before making any huge mistakes. Thanks for the advice on the mandarin......I guess we have to look for smaler fish, I just had my heart set on those fish....thanks

alyssia

Sorry, definitely no tangs or angels in that size tank, except the dwarf angels, you could have one of those and their are some really colorful ones, like the flame angel.
Ditto on the mandarin, they only eat pods and your tank needs to be really established with 100 lbs of LR for it to survive.
The sand sifting star also probably will not survive. The usually perish unless they are in a huge system with a very deep sand bed.
Sorry to be such a downer.

reeffreak9

Jelezoglo, You can get away with keeping a Yellow hawaiian tang in a 55. And yes Dwarf angels, like the Coral beauty angel. There are a couple of Butterflys that do well in a 55, the Copper band, Heniochus black and white, or the Auriga (all very pretty butterflys). I would go with a brittle star. Hope this helps when picking your fishies!

ghettotang

Since you said that your tank has not been fully cycle I would wait if I were you before you add fish into your tank. Once your tank is fully cycle I would also suggest that don't add too many fish at once. Take it slowly!!!
I hope this suggestion will help you out. And good luck.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by fedukeford
no to the tang, angel, and butterfly, start thinking of smaller fish, adn the dragonnet will need to be added only if you have 100lbs of LR, adn the tank is 1 year old
I agree on all 4.
Start looking towards smaller fish. Dwarf angels, smaller butterflies, maybe a nice green clown goby to replace the mandarin.

jelezoglo

Thanks to all the advice....I couldn't find my thread because I was looking for my name....lol. Anyways, you guys are great and we are rethinking our wish list until our tank finishes cycling.....thanks again.