too much calcium.. what do i do?

neupane00

hey guys, i have about 600 calcium. is that really bad? its supposed to be a reef tank. but for now i only have fish and clean up crew. Is that much calcium really bad? its been consistently that much calcium for last 3 weeks. what do i do? (i didnt add any calcium, thats all just from salt mix)

gmann1139

Is this the same tank with the 10 nitrates and .5 phosphate?
What is your alkalinity reading? pH? How old is the tank?
Also, what calcium test kit are you using, and how many times have you used it?

neupane00

yes its the same tank with 10 nitrate and 0.5 phosphate. alk is 11 dkh. ph is 8.2 -8.3 ... tank is 3 weeks old but all insides of tank (live rock, live sand) from 4 years old mature tank. i am using API reef master calcium test. i have done about 4 -5 calcium readings within last 3 weeks. thank u so much.

jackri

What kind of salt are you using?
The calcium of 600 isn't bad... it isn't great but it all has to do with the relationship with alk and magnesium and the ability of the 3 to buffer each other. When they can't buffer each other you'll get precipation of the calcium -- don't know the whole chemistry behind it and its almost 3am.. and 4 women are argueing on Geraldo on Fox news and I can't keep a straight thought past what I wrote lol.. sorry :)

woody189

I had high calcium, and real low ALK.
BangGuy suggested to me that I start adding baking soda (not powder) to my top off water.
I add a little bit from time to time. Although I barely check those levels, the Baking soda definitely seems to do the job.
It raises ALK, which consequently lowers CA.
Do a couple searches and you'll get an idea of what to do.

snaredrum

Really need to see what the other parameters are before you can find the problem. Alk, PH and the such. What is the salinity? I do know that a lot of the new salts will raise the Calcium a lot with higher salinity. I been hearing a stir about bad salt batches also. Sorry I see the Alk and PH now. It looks OK. Ummmm. try a different calcium test kit (Brand)