Too Much Heat!!!

accurate

I have a temp gauge that shows inside and outside temps. Two days ago i looked at it and my tank temp was 82. The room temp was 75. I got scared and started getting my room temp down. Today it was 80 and my room was 69. What the heck is going on?? Anyone had this exp?? I called a lfs and they said it could be anything i have in my tank. ie.. powerheads in tank and sump, possibly my heaters. I have MH but they don't seem to raise the tank over 2 degrees. They're 12" off the surface of the tank and my tank is open with No tops or canopy.
Tonight I turned off all pumps, unplugged heaters,
Now all i have running is my little giant #4. It seems to be comming down better.
Any help would be appreciated..
Thanx in advance.. Sorry for the long post.

k.lee

Cool that tank, IMO. some new publications say maintain at 82, but stores (ifs) and some authors say mid 70's still. It's prolly your pumps. Cool cool, cool. Try a fan on the water surface, across the sump, and ot remove the glass canpy. Be wary if you have jumpers (eels, gobies, tiles --ah god).

accurate

heaters are 200wt and set at 74.
I forget to mention everthing.
If my pumps,, what do i do to power my skimmer, and uv sterilizer? They run off of pumps..
While im asking questions??
How do you feel about uv sterilizers??
Thanks for the help.. Id never run my tank at 80
If i want fried fish or inverts, ill go to a seafood buffet and not at my house..lol

justinl

82 is fine. You don't need to worry about that temperature. You can buy 2 fans at radio shack to cool down the tank by having them blow across the water. Both myself and LFS have our tanks at a constant daytime temp of 82. They have some of the healthiest corals I've seen. I went through so much trouble to try and lower the tank temp from a homemade chiller, removing powerheads, etc. and to tell you the truth they really didn't work all that well. The one thing I would do is check the temp on your thermometer. For some reason when I set mine at 78, it raises the temp to above 85. When I lowered the temp on the thermometer to around 74 it dropped the temp down. Daytime for me is 80-82 and night is around 78.
Just don't sweat 82. :cool:

k.lee

I'd kill the sterilizer unlss you have a school of moorish idols or something. Especiallty with live rock most species should stray healthy. I'm debating the use os aprotein in my newly set up young reef with no fish.
UV and skimmers kill plankton and baby inverts IMO. aT ThE SAME TIME THEY KEPP THE TAMK CLEAM (PROTEIN SKIMMER), can I keep some non-zooxanthellae animals alive with a protein skimmer? Answer, I think they kill plankton. rhetoric . . ..
Lee

fshhub

80 to 82, is fine
unless you are keeping life from colder waters, IMEO, and even they have some tolerance, but not a whole lot, so if htey are 75- 80 degreeers, then they would be fine, as long as it is not a fast jump
and your powerheads, pumps and lights are all contributors, especially if your heater is not coming on, if it is coming on adn it is set at 75, and the tank is getting that high, then i would say check the heater, and reset if necessary because often times they may say one thing, and actually be another
HTH

k.lee

Originally posted by fshhub:
<strong>80 to 82, is fine
unless you are keeping life from colder waters, IMEO, and even they have some tolerance, but not a whole lot, so if htey are 75- 80 degreeers, then they would be fine, as long as it is not a fast jump
and your powerheads, pumps and lights are all contributors, especially if your heater is not coming on, if it is coming on adn it is set at 75, and the tank is getting that high, then i would say check the heater, and reset if necessary because often times they may say one thing, and actually be another
HTH</strong><hr></blockquote>
Exactly. :)
But beware on a 100 gallon or more it is recommended to have more than 1 heater, and you want 3 watts per gallon per heater in any setup. :cool:
Lee

k.lee

Just like to add, tho, I said it b4, anyn temp over 80 with INVERTS MAKES ME NERVOUS. i had a major dieback around that temp b4. 78 is what I'm going for now.
Lee

fshhub

unless you are keeping life from colder waters,
that may be the problem you had last time, corals, adn anemones, not crabs and shrimp, have a harder time adjusting to the colder or warmer waters, it can go either way, too warm, or too cool, but MOST(aquaria), around 80 is fine, IF it is stable
we don't even use a heater, because our tankd stays at 79 to 82, but we do have a heater ready, in case of a prob with the home heat, i am sure that if our furnace broke, the temp in the tank would drop too
you dcould try fans on your mh's, if need be, that may help 2 degres or so, if you are really worried about it :D :D

kris walker

Hey accurate,
If you do a litte more experimentation, and find the powerheads are the culprit, you might want to just see if you can take your powerhead apart and look for signs of strain on the rotating axis (if this is the type you have). Sometimes crud builds up over time, making the engine work harder, creating more heat. Don't know how your pumps work, so can't really comment on them, but if they have rotating parts that have been exposed to plankton-filled waters over time, I guess the same might apply to those.
sam

accurate

thanks for the repies!!
i have taken all of my pumps apart and cleaned them out. they weren't bad but i did it anyway.
after turning everyting off last night, my temp tis morning is 74.
im gonna turn one thing on a day til i find out what might have been the culprit.