Too much light?

rldavisou

I found a 630 halide/pc combo fixture, 36" long, for $360. I want a halide for my 30 gallon, but I'm worried 21 watts per gallon is too much. If I can keep my water cool, will that still burn my corals? Is it possible to have too much light?

Do you run a sump or chiller? You could always try fans blowing across your water. 2- 250 watters + 2 96 watts of pc. It's not about 2 much light, your problem would be keeping your tank cool. Another problem I see is the fixture is 3 feet and your tank is only 30 inchs long. Right. Do you plan on upgrading to a larger tank one day and how would this fixture work with a new tank?

rldavisou

Sorry, forgot to mention that it's a 30 Long model, so the tank is, in fact, 36" long. The fixture has 2x250w halides and 2x65w actinic pc bulbs. I'm toying with building a chiller using an old cube fridge I've got in the garage. I really don't have $500 to throw down on a chiller right now, but I really want to start growing some nice sps corals.

teen

imo, thats too much light. your gunna bleach most of your corals. look for a single 250w pendant. i have a 30 gallon long as well and thats what im running. believe me, the single 250w will be more than enough.

rldavisou

Ok, thanks. What's a good price on those? I know we can't share links, but I was wondering what I'd pay if I was getting a really sweet deal.

teen

google search reefstar metal halide pendant. thats what i use. its an awesome light.