Too much lighting

pices

im starting to cycle 55 gallon tank and arrranging the lighting fixtures in the hood and have the opportunity to put a 250 mh to simulate high noon along side 80w of flour lighting to simulate dawn-mid day-high noon-after noon-evening too MUCH?javascript:smilie('
')

reefnut

I agree, 2- MHs are needed. So to answer your question... no you do not have to much lighting. 2-250w MHs and 80w of fluorescents would be nice on a 55g IMO.

getit

ReefNut or anyone else,
I was thinking of putting two PC's together totaling 520w on my 75g, would that be sufficient amount of lights (wattage wise?) or will I need to purchase some hallides instead?
I want to put some hard and soft corals in my tank as well.
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

dogstar

One MH in the middle will not hurt at all, just look brighter there and darker on the ends, if thats how you want it to look then go for it, you can always add another one later.

ishtar

Thats what my buddie is running, and it has been going good. You just have fewer options to place some of your corals which need more light.

getit

Originally posted by Ishtar
Thats what my buddie is running, and it has been going good. You just have fewer options to place some of your corals which need more light.

Ishtar, what is your buddy running?

newbiereef

anyone, what kind of lights should i run on my 29 gal eclipse 6 cause i want to add corals as well in about 4-5 more months

reeffeer

depending on what coral your trying to keep....
most people end up falling in love with clams and hard corals, especially when they've become seasoned.
keep this in mind they do require mh lighting.
there are some great combo units out there i suggest one with a 175mh and compacts is both blue and white 10k
if this is out of budget consider a compact unit that offers four bulbs in stead of two that way you an have two blue actinic and two 10k white daylights. dont buy a compact that only affors two bulbs.
good luck