Too Much LIVE SAND at once??

moy

I currently have 40lbs of Live Sand in my 46 gallon bowfront tank,and plan on adding 40 more lbs of live sand this weekend to my tank.
But just wanted to know if there would be any problem adding 40lbs more of live sand over the existing sand all at once this weekend?? :confused:

fshhub

generally, i would not add more tahn 1/4 inch to an established bed at a time, you could basically smother what is in there, ane if this is not enough for you, wait 2 weeks and continue
HTH

fshhub

just add it on top, it'll be fine, no need to mix, and it'll be less likely to create alot cloudiness, mixing may not hurt, IMO isn't necessary, however if you do, WEAR gloves, especially if you have lr, there could be a worm in there(may sting alot)

bbreaux1

how about try the handle end of a net to stir the sand if you want it mixed good and not worried about cloudyness i think thats what im gonna do i have aragonit oolitic sand at the bottom and i added agralive on top and theres a big difference in the grain size of those two so ill mix um up a bit and in a few weeks im adding 40lbs live sand from swf.com once my tank cycles then about 10 lbs more from lfs to get my 4inch dsb

fshhub

bbreaux1
do you have a living dsb, if so, you would be better off not stirring it, it is or will be working, and stirring it will disturb it
IMO

von_rahvin

do not break up the sand bed and stir it. also do not mix the new sand with the old. just add a thin layer over the top. min a moth of so it will be live. if you want to just repeat the process :) when you still the sand oxygen mixes into it and kills some of the bacteria that lives there. Since it is the bacteria that we all want . . . .