topping off

carpas

What is the best method for topping off the tank to bring the water up and drop the salinity levels back down? Do you just slowly pour in the fresh water or is there a better method? Thanks for the help.

dad

I think the best way is to use the drip method.
Also do this in your refugium if you have one.
If not, try to add it close to a power head.
Alot of inverts are very tender to sudden SG changes, so the slower the better.

nm reef

On my reef all top-off is done via a home made drip system. Suppliments are added and the water is dripped into my refugium. My fish only system gets a gal or so every other day thats just poured in. Important thing is to try to avoid sudden changes in SG/PH/temp. :cool:

corky

I personally just pour my water in. I do keep it around the same temp. of the tank and try not to top off more than 1/2 gal to a gal. of water at a time.

bammbamm74

I don't let it get over 1 gallon low. When I top off, I slowly pour in the new water, RO/DI into the tank. Over about a minute or two.

fallen04

i take a five gal bucket with about two gallons of water and pour it in. tap water with conditioner

q

Bammbamm74: One gallon on a 25 gallon tank!! I thought I was slacking off when I was down a gallon on my 75. ;)
I slowly dump in about a half gallon at a time over a period of about 10 seconds. :D

carpas

Thanks for the insight everyone, I only have a 10 gallon so it's not to hard to stay on top of.