torch acting weird

renogaw

been in the same spot for months, no change in flow/light etc.
all of a sudden, it's sending out some tentacles about 2" longer than the others, and oddly enough my kole tang is eating them...
why would it be doing this?

T

tizzo

My hammer does that when he's hungry... Have you tried target feeding him anything lately?
Those are his stinger tentacles. If he feels the need to compete for space, he will send them out for that reason also.

florida joe

my friend I am going with hammer until i get a closer pic but Usually hammers will develop sweeper tentacles with added flow dobble check the flow over the coral

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2683496
um... is this a hammer or a torch?
I think it's a torch, I was just comparing the stingers to those of my hammer. They are both similar corals...

florida joe

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2683530
I think it's a torch, I was just comparing the stingers to those of my hammer. They are both similar corals...
i will bet my tongue on it. its a hammer Polyps on a hammer have long tubular tentacles with Hammer, anchor or T-shaped tips. Color is usually orange, or green with lighter colored edges to the tips of the polyps. Similar to and related to Torch Coral and Frogspawn coral. Can be differentiated by the anchor or T-shape of the end of the tentacles.

T

tizzo

Oh Joe, I know the diff? But I still think it's a Torch, therefore, you know what hat means...
Your tongue is MINE!

rebelprettyboy

Hammer it is.

And I agree with what Tizzo stated. Try feeding it or it could be gettin ready for war with something near by

T

tizzo

After looking long and hard...at the pics... I'm wondering if maybe it's a frogspawn!

But I sill get Joe's tongue.

ci11337

those are sweeper tentacles, It is either at war, (some other coral is to close) or it is hungry. Or maybe he thinks he's bad ---, nothing to worry about.

anonome

Looks like a hammer, and yes they will extend long sweepers to defend their space. Joe, your tongue has been spared!!

t316

Tizzo;2683700 said:
After looking long and hard...at the pics... I'm wondering if maybe it's a frogspawn!

QUOTE]
Ding...Ding...Ding....check it closer. Looks and sounds to me exactly like a frogspawn. Occassionally they will send out several sweeper tenticles 2-4" out, usually as a defense mechanism as a distraction. Usually last a few days, then they retreat, and act like all the others.

t316

If you haven't added any new fish lately, they probably sense that zoo frag sitting behind them.

renogaw

sorry, life's been a little hectic with all the house renovations.
i bought it as a torch, and it does not have those ushaped hammer heads, but some better pics are attached.
i tried feeding it, but it slowly let the food go away. i was wondering how the food was floating above the coral, then i figured sweeper tentacles i couldn't see.
this is probably why the zoo colony near it has been decimated :(

spiderwoman

That looks exactly like one of my hammers. I have 2 different kinds. My torch has more round or almost squarish look to the tips, yours are more long and rounded corners. There is a slight hammer form to the tip.

sula

It could be me, but it seems like in about the last year or so I've seen more of these types of Euphyllia - they almost resemble some sort of hybrid between a hammer and frogspawn. The LFS's seem to just like to give them the generic label of "torch".
When I look at those pictures, I see frogspawn. But then I see only one "head" on each tentacle (frogspawn is usually a cluster).
So my vote is hammer, but a hybrid or smaller "polyped" variety.
They all send out sweepers, and they all pack a powerful punch, so I agree that you should move the zoas and squirt some food its way when you are feeding.