torch coral

A

agb1

Sat. I bought a torch coral from the LFS. At the store it was beautiful and full. I acclimated it accordingly and it never bloomed out. Also Sat. night I was moving some rock around in my tank and dropped on big piece on top of it. It broke off and smashed it pretty good. It there anything I can to to save it? How do I tell if it is dead? It still has not opened. All my levels are normal. How long does it normally take to open up. I have several other corals and none of them have taken more than a day to open up. :help:

am3gross

well im sure it is pretty stressed out right now. is there any damage to the top of the torch? it will probably take it a while before it will open up if it does. i had a power head fall on mine and it sucked up some of the tenticles in to it. now about 2 months later it still hasnt opened up fully but it does open up. some of the new tenticles are starting to get to be where the old ones were at. hope every thing goes well and keep us updated!
am3gross

A

agb1

It dosent seem that the tenticles are damaged, but the base of the torch is split open. I hope it lives...it was so pretty at the LFS not to mention it cost me $40.

crox

It might be doomed. I have a hammer and I hit one branch pretty hard. 3 days later that head was gone.

firedog

I crushed a branch on accident on a hammer and a couple of the frags now open up. The main part of the branch is no longer alive though.

A

agb1

how can I determine if it is dead.....i dont want it to mess with my water quality....or will it.

A

agb1

oh yea....i tried to post a pic but i just couldnt get it to work....sorry

A

agb1

Okay...its been a few days now and the torch still has not fully extended.....well, to be honest it has only fluffed up a little....does this mean there is still hope??? How can I tell when its dead. Or is it just still tramatized from the hit?

volcom69

Did it try to come out at all, if so check to see where u have it make sure u have the right amount of water flow lighting ect for it to come out.