torch gives the cold shoulder

I just got a new torch coral and it seems to be doing well, but I just noticed that my clowns are attempting to get it to host. The torch does not appear to be taking kindly to this. He shriveled up and then he expelled some brown wispy gunk. What's going to happen here?

truperc

This exact situation happened to me. I have an 8 head torch which was doing well....until...my clowns tried to host it. (can't be 100% this was the cause, but suspected.)
The Torch started to expel its zooanthelle ("brown wispy gunk") until all of the heads looked miserable.... bordering on dead.
I researched the issue and persisted with the coral. I am happy to report that several months later the coral has started to come back.
I have 2 of the 8 heads back, and the others are showing signs of recovery.
Do not be surprised if something similar occurs, and do not assume all is lost prematurely.
I read it can take up to a year for the coral to fully recover.
Hope it helps. Good Luck

big

My three year old Maroon moved from hosting my Pink Pearl to my Torch about 6 to 8 months ago........No issues with mine that I have noticed.
But sometimes any irritations to a coral will cause closing. But if they are fully regressed, sometimes they come back with time and sometimes they don't. Maybe they need time to adapt a bit?. Hope that is all it is, Good Luck! ..... Warren

truperc

My clowns did stop trying to host the torch. That said, while i suspected this as a possible cause, there may have been other factors that actually caused the problem.
It is hard to say. I will say that I only had the torch for a month and a half when this occurred.
I would be more comfortable saying this was the root cause if it had been doing well for a longer period of time, and then the incident occurred after clowns tried to host.

truperc

FWIW - The torch continues to get better, and now the clowns are showing interest in it again.
I will have to wait and see if there is any impact.