torpedo ray

sandman12

my lfs has this awsome torpedo ray for $60. they said it could go in a 55 full grown, i have a 135 so... I was thinking about getting it in the future. I did a search and the torpedo rays that came up in the search looked nothing like the one at the lfs:notsure:
the one at the lfs was a dark brown with blakc stripes. very small only about 5"

I

irenicus

The Ray may be mis-identified at the LFS. I've seen that happen quite a bit.

justchillin

i'd guess mis-labeled too...lfs aren't always great able correctly labeling their tanks...my mexican dragon eel was label as a sfe, and they really don't look anything alike...

cincyreefer

Not always the lfs fault though. Sometimes distributors will mis-identify them or possibly ship a wrong one as well. If it is not a very common fish then it is hard for the lfs to know exactly what it is, and they will normally label it what it came in from the distributor as.

polarpooch

The only kind of "torpedo ray" I've heard of is something called an "electric torpedo ray", which have dismal life expectancies in an aquarium
I've also NEVER heard of a ray that can make it in a 55g full grown.
However, you have a 135, and if you have a nice, soft, deep sand bed, you could probably get away with a smaller ray for a time in it.
I had a bluespot (smallest ray I've seen available in the trade) in a 180, took meticulous care of it...and it still died a year later.
I'd post a question for AC on the board if you want to know about different kinds of rays in the aquarium...he's got the experience with them. Also, the book "Aquarium Sharks and Rays" by Scott Michael is a must read ifyou are seriously considering a ray.

sandman12

i dont think its is a torpedo ray according to my research but it is really cool. Next time i go to the lfs i will bring a camera and take a pic.

tony detroit

Cali rays are easy, well easy as far as stingrays are concerned.
Yellow rays are nice too and are better for warmer water temperatures, cali's need cooler water to thrive. Both are very easy to keep in the right conditions. I would suggest a tank with a 8' x 2' footprint as a minimum because they will make 180gal tanks look small after time, even my 300gal looks small now. Once you have a ray, they're addictive. I wish I had unlimited funding and space:yes:
they're worth a tank all by themself

tony detroit

Originally posted by Fin Follower Ed
I bet it's a cali ray, once I upgrade I'm planing on getting a blue spoted ray so I've benn doing some research.

If you do a lot of research you will find that there are other species that you will have much better luck keeping.

harlequin

Blue spotted have almost a zero survival rate for any length of time. Its just hard as hell to get them to eat anything. Even experts have really hard times with this ray.

polarpooch

Blue spotted have almost a zero survival rate for any length of time. Its just hard as hell to get them to eat anything.
I would agree and disagree with this. My blue spot ate like a champ...but first would only eat live food, which meant "loaded" feeders--which, of course, is not the best option. Eventually, she ate frozen, but then died suddenly anyway. I had her a year. I wouldn't recommend them, though. Seems a year or less life expectancy in a tank can not justify keeping one. (And again, don't put one in a 55g.)

tony detroit

Originally posted by Elkhntr
Tony
What are the full dimensions of your tank?

96 x 30 x 24 LWH
note:Not near big enough to keep the fish I have in there for life