Tough Fish

srfisher17

Like a lot of us, I lost electric power last weekend. We live far enough south to usually avoid huge snow amounts; but live in an area that loses power easily. All the news ,and info from folks who have lived nearby for years, sure sounded like a power loss was inevitable. I grew up in the Northwoods, but hate the cold now and the roads are impossible once snow starts to accumulate. I hooked up my generator, took enough Beefeaters (its a dry county), grabbed kids, and checked into a nearby motel that was known to seldom lose power---probably because they are so close to the hospital. My house lost power at about 7:30 PM Friday.
Mid-morning Sunday, I remembered that I never plugged my 55 gal basement QT into the generator system, it contained 3 fish that I fished out (literally) from my DTs and was going to give to a good friend and helper for Christmas. I drove home and power came back just as I was walking into the house, weird. Power was out for about40 hours. Temp in the QT was 59 degrees F. The Pinkface Wrasse was on its side, motionless, in a piece of PVC. His gills weren't visibly moving, but his tongue was. A huge GS Maroon Clown was in a similar state on the bottom. The Cuban Hogfish was upright and breathing, but barely. (Probably because of the great Cuban Healthcare system, yeah right. Or, he was just afraid to go back to Cuba, knowing what they do to escapees.) I have 2-100 watt heaters in this tank and tossed in another 200 watts . There was a little ammonia, the only bio-filter is an Aqua-Clear HOB with a big sponge. I replaced the sponge with a new one I keep in a DT sump and the tank was re-cycled and I added an ammonia neutralizer. The temp returned to normal as quickly as I dared. All fish were swimming, although not looking very well, by the time the Packers blew the game that evening. Monday, all 3 fish were acting and eating normally. I know all SW fish have to be tough to survive in the oceans, but some just don't adapt to captivity. I've always thought our fish are tougher than we think; but this really surprised me.
I know stress can still cause some long-range problems. I'm not worried about ich, or other parasites; but does anyone have any ideas on additional action or what to really look for??? Thanks!

kjr_trig

Damn, that's pretty amazing they came out of it...at least so far. You are far more of expert than I, but I would think if they survive the next few weeks they would be ok long term.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3194980
Damn, that's pretty amazing they came out of it...at least so far. You are far more of expert than I, but I would think if they survive the next few weeks they would be ok long term.
I'm no expert, but they are doing real well. I really think fish can handle a lot as long as the change is gradual; sudden changes in temp, PH, salinity, etc are really dangerous. When I lived in the Keys, many years ago, it got into the 50s for a few days. The flats were empty and the reef was covered with inshore fish waiting for warmer water. Fish, like snook, were easy

[hr]
gun targets as they just lay on the bottom in 15" of water. As soon as w the water returned to normal temps; the flats had some of the most amazing bonefishing I've ever seen.

small triggers

lol im probably going to get in trouble for saying this... but my tanks temp vary greatly... it goes down to about 62 ish when its really cold and stays there for a few days but i do normally only keep my tank about 72 anyways so?? (oh and i have tried to raise it,,, really i mean i have a 200 watt heater in the 40g sump, a 75 watt heater in the overflow chamber and a 75 watt heater IN the DT.... never gets over 73 set on 89 on everyone of them...) With that being said, i think as long as you dont go 20 degrees up or down in a very short time period it shouldnt be a big problem...

kraylen

Originally Posted by louti
http:///forum/post/3195254
Sorry, but I must disagree, a swing of 3-4 degrees in a day is concerning.
Happens every day in my 55g SPS/LPS reef...
My 6g pico goes from 60 in the AM to 78 in during the day..... just softies and nems but I'm just proving a point.

small triggers

I didnt say it wasnt concerning (for most people),,, i just said it happens and some fish are not that adversely affected by it. If its a 20degree drop over 2 days yeah its bad,,, but not necessarily deadly. Sometimes i think we as aquarist's get a little to bent over what everyone else says that 'could' devastate a tank.... It doesnt always work the same for everyone...
It does concern me when my tank decides it wants to get 5 degrees colder in a day, so i watch it.... but in almost 3 years i have not had anyone die from it..

J

jstdv8

whats really concerning is how the packers blew a perfectly good game.

Go vikes!
Oh wait, I shoudnt say anything, my team didnt even show up in carolina. I think they must have subbed in some 8th graders

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3195347
3 or 4 degrees in a day is most certainly not an issue.
For sure. I've never had a tank that didn't swing that much. Most heaters aren't even that precise and reef temps can easily vary a few degrees in just a few feet of depth---at times.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3195293
whats really concerning is how the packers blew a perfectly good game.

Go vikes!
Oh wait, I shoudnt say anything, my team didnt even show up in carolina. I think they must have subbed in some 8th graders

How many Super Bowls have the Viqueens lost, its hard to keep remember? But with Favre, anything is possible---even when you have to play indoors.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3195436
How many Super Bowls have the Viqueens lost, its hard to keep remember? But with Favre, anything is possible---even when you have to play indoors.
Indoors is the only way to play football
Seriously, I don't know how you guys can go to games at Lambeau in December Steve, you have to sneak in a flask of something don't you?
The road to the Superbowl would appear to be through some sort of dome in the NFC....thank goodness, other than the Iggles possibly hosting a home game.

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3195567
Indoors is the only way to play football
Seriously, I don't know how you guys can go to games at Lambeau in December Steve, you have to sneak in a flask of something don't you?
The road to the Superbowl would appear to be through some sort of dome in the NFC....thank goodness, other than the Iggles possibly hosting a home game.
Flasks are very common. At the famous '67 Ice Bowl, people were hawking 1/2 pints of brandy for $20, a lot in 1967. Wisconsin is full of brandy drinkers, I have no idea why.