Toys you wanted and never got...

ophiura

OK, so what toys did you really want as a kid and didn't get.
Did you ever consider buying them as an adult?
I always wanted an Easy Bake Oven. Every year I marked the page in the Sears catalog ... but my parents seemed to think we had one in the basement.
I obviously have my own real oven now. And a microwave oven. But the thrill of baking with an incandescent bulb has an odd allure. Now it is probably different, but I do have a urge whenever I see one to get it.
anyone still have a secret wish for a childhood toy?

t316

Originally Posted by ruaround
http:///forum/post/2886606
i always wanted drums... never got em... perhaps i will get them for my son... lol...
Been there/Done that....Yes, I beat the heck out of them for the first month, actually got pretty decent IMO, but now they are just another fixture in the corner of the room....

t316

Actual story....I had been wanting a BMX bike for the longest time when I was about 7-8 yrs old. Circled it in the catelogs, pointed it out in the stores, and described it to my Dad even though he just couldn't seem to grasp it..."It's the bikes that don't have any fenders". I mean, how could you go wrong?
Well, we didn't have a lot of money, but wake up Christmas morning....a HUFFY bike, bannana seat and all, with...get this, Dad has gone thru the trouble of unbolting all of the fenders to try to make it look like the real mckoy, but...
I played it off and acted grateful, but in hindsight, I appreciate what he tried to do for me under the circumstances.

jennythebugg

easy bake was cool for my daughters , i never had one either as a kid
i wanted a pottery wheel , never did get one mom said that it would make too big a mess she wouldnt let us have play dough either lol

al mc

I always wanted one of those machines that made the edible animal shapes.....I think it was called 'Incredible Edibles'. Later in life I actually tried one of the pieces of candy it made..yeech!...nasty tasting. But as a 7 year old it probably would have tasted a lot better.

jpc763

An official Red Ryder 200 shot carbine air rifle with a compass in the stock and that thing that tells time.
I really wanted one of those!

stdreb27

I always wanted cowboys tickets. So finally as an adult I went and took me and my dad to a cowboys game for the first time. It was a lot of fun. And due to the price of tickets a once in a lifetime opportunity.

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by scottallert
http:///forum/post/2887230
good luck with that.
You can purchase a 2-3 person hovercraft pretty cheap actually. It's akin to a jetski but has a zodiac-style hull instead of a fiberglass one... it's also propelled by a big fan in the back... like those skim boats they use in the everglades. Pretty neat.
Thanks for wishing me luck, although I have little motivation to own a hovercraft now.

snakeblitz33

When I was a kid, I never got what I wanted, secretly. I always got money. Saved up a few hundred bucks each year and got something really nice for myself.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by ruaround
http:///forum/post/2886606
i always wanted drums... never got em... perhaps i will get them for my son... lol...
Lol my parents got me the muppets drum set, boy was that the worst mistake they made on christmas morning
But i wanted the GI joe battle ship. 6 feet long and was the bomb back in the day and my parents threw the lame excuse its to big for santa to carry.

nitschke65

The JC Penney Christmas catalog always had that gigantic slot car set up. Unfortunatly, I was raised by Jehovah's Witnesses!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Talking about the catalogs and how we used to go through them marking out what we wanted brings back memories. I doubt kids these days do that....now its thumbing through web-pages and sending parents links. lol I'm sure they even locate the best prices.