Transfer

levinjac

When I get my 90+ tank it is going to be a fish only with inverts I will be moving all my fish to the 90+ gallon tank and will be making my 29 a reef I want to know how to transfer it to a nice reef when the time comes My rock is dead and I will keep the cc in no sand I will upgrade lighting for a reef tank. My other question is should I just make it a reef or put fish in to it. it may be a tank for maroon clowns and nothing else but inverts and a anemone for the clowns to breed.
Thank-You

btldreef

Once the 90G is cycled, you can re-acclimate your fish to the 90G tank.
I would add the rock that is in your 29G to the 90G and then recycle the 20G with new rock, or purchase cured LR.

Anyways, to make it a reef, you need to make sure that as a fish only tank, this tank was never treated with medications such as copper.

I would recommend a few small reef safe fish if you're doing a reef. Fish poop = good fertilizer for corals.

If you plan on breeding Maroon clowns, you're going to need more than just the 29G, you'll also need a tank to raise the young fry in, and then a grow out tank. It's more involved than most people realize.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/380216/transfer#post_3308606
hmmmmmm I might just do what you said and skip clowns altogether and figure somthing else
IMO, Ocellaris or Percula clowns are far easier and more suited for that size tank anyways. Breeding maroons can be quite vicious, and in a small tank, you'll get bit. If you do decide to breed, Ocellaris and Percula are far easier to do this with as well. I have a spawning pair of Ocellaris in my 155G, you don't have to have a specialized tank, you just need to know where the eggs are and when they will hatch. Once you've figured out the timing of when they hatch, you have to be there to catch all the newly hatched babies (which can be a nightmare if done wrong). Move the babies, to a new tank, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac
http:///forum/thread/380216/transfer#post_3308607
and I never ever treated with anything I never had an ick problem

Then you should be fine.

levinjac

I will try Percula I had and have a Ocellaris already so I will try there cousins and are inverts pretty much the same in a reef than a fish only exept starfish no starfish what shrimp
Stock by what I want for a reef.
2 percula clowns
yasha goby
1 other fish
2 skunk cleaners
5 atrea snails
5 nassarius snails
that will be it but as far as an anemone a bubble tib or carpet

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/380216/transfer#post_3308741
I will try Percula I had and have a Ocellaris already so I will try there cousins and are inverts pretty much the same in a reef than a fish only exept starfish no starfish what shrimp
Stock by what I want for a reef.
2 percula clowns
yasha goby
1 other fish
2 skunk cleaners
5 atrea snails
5 nassarius snails
that will be it but as far as an anemone a bubble tib or carpet

As someone who owns a Yasha Goby, I must advise against this fish unless you're going to keep it with a pistol shrimp, which I don't recommend in a reef setting. I rarely see my yasha goby, unless it's time to feed. If they don't have their shrimp, their very skiddish and become jumpers. Every time my shrimp abandons their home, she jumps on me, makes me insane!
Your reef would be better suited with a different goby, preferably (for me) a sand sifter such as a Diamond Goby.

You can do more than 1 other fish. IMO, I'd do a dwarf angel of some sort (Flame or Coral beauty are best options for a reef) and maybe a Kole or Yellow Tang. I might even do a smaller reef safe wrasse as well.

You're going to need way more snails than that in a 90G. I would do 15 Nassarius, 15 Trochus, 10 Astrea, 5 Cerith.

As for anemones, bubble tips are a far better choice.

levinjac

No im talking about my 29 here I have my 90 figured out this is for my 29 that is going to be a reef not the 90 but you did say some were that I could get a dwarf angel and a small goby with the two percs

meowzer

I would not put a carpet in the 29G....I don't think I'd put the bta in there either

I have a mini anemone in my 29G LOL it's about 1 1/2"

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/380216/transfer#post_3308749
No im talking about my 29 here I have my 90 figured out this is for my 29 that is going to be a reef not the 90 but you did say some were that I could get a dwarf angel and a small goby with the two percs
Ah, that's right. I forgot about that.

Personally, I would not put a dwarf angelfish in a 29G, but many people do. I was speaking about the 90G when I recommended one.
I would recommend:
2 Clownfish
1 Green Banded Goby (or similar small goby, such as a Yellow Watchmen)
1 TailSpot Blenny
1 Blue Flasher Wrasse (or other similar flasher or fairy wrasse)
8 Nassarius snails
8 Trochus snails
5 astrea snails
5 cerith snails
1 BTA (one the tank is mature - you do not need an anemone for your clowns to mate and there is no guarantee that they will take to the anemone - in a small tank, there is a risk with an anemone, if it moves, you will loose corals from being stung)

levinjac

Nice ok I guess no anemone but that stock list is a nice and I would add 2 skunk cleaners and 1 peppermint

btldreef

My suggestion would be no anemone. If you find that your clowns are trying to host with a coral such as a torch and they're really beating on it, then I would consider a small BTA, just keep in mind that it won't stay small forever. I have one BTA right now, that when open is 12" across. That thing would destroy a nano-reef.

levinjac

well its the closest thing to an anemone and they dont grow so maybe they will think its a real anem but then they migh try to feed it and make it dirt oh well ill try I have a fake one right now and my clowns together used to host it but since the female died it host the filter( but since the female died does that make the one I have female)

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/380216/transfer#post_3308814
well its the closest thing to an anemone and they dont grow so maybe they will think its a real anem but then they migh try to feed it and make it dirt oh well ill try I have a fake one right now and my clowns together used to host it but since the female died it host the filter( but since the female died does that make the one I have female)
Depends how long your one has been alone for. I believe they can change sexes in under a months time.