Transfering a Tank Setup

I might be getting a 100g tank with two fish, with LR and sand. this is what it includes in the ad.
"100 gal. plexiglass tank and wood stand & top, comes with everything you need to keep it going. Overflow box, sump with bio balls, 13 watt UV light, 3 -15 watt flourescent lights, Rio 2500 pump, backpack protein skimmer, timer, 300 watt Via Aqua heater. "
Now lets say I go to pick it up its obviously going to need to be drained. The fish are obviously going to need to be bagged. Now when I take everything home set it all up...should I premix saltwater before hand and keep it in room temp so when the tank arrives and is set up I can pour into the tank? should i pour it all in then let the tank heat up..then do the drip method with the fix in seperate boxes and acclimate them into the new water? Should I get an RO unit to clean the tap water? how long would it take to clean 100 gallons worth of water? im just trying to figure out what the process is of moving a tank, with LR, sand, and two fish into a new home but with the same setup thats been established...if anyone has done this any help would be awesome.

fgcu14

I would recommend keeping as much of the water in the current set up as possible, (move with rubbermaid containers) otherwise by mixing a 100gal of new saltwater you will have to cycle the tank which can last up to 6 weeks. If the fish are placed into uncycled water they will more than likley die.

barchtruong

how much lr and ls?
it's true that you want to transfer and much current water in the tank with it as possible.
Mix salt water and let it sit for 24hrs.
the fishes will have a rough time

grumpygils

Originally Posted by MaddestHatter
anyone?
Do you have any one or a LFS that can hold the fish for you? When they are sitting in a bucket or bag, you will feel pressed for time and might not get everything set up correctly or the way you want. There can also be a cycling issue or at the least very cloudy water. I would find a temp home so you can get the rock the way you want it, clear the water and test it.
Good Luck
Mc

wax32

New saltwater won't cause your tank to cycle. Reuse the old or use new (that has been mixed for at least 24 hours and is a match for salinity) it doesn't matter. What DOES matter is not to let the liverock or sand dry out. THAT will cause a new cycle and the bacteria and critters in the rock dies.

How far do you actuall y have to move it. I moved my 400g from my sisters about 30 miles from here. I bought 4 brand new rubbermaid trash cans( I actually needed to buy them anyways) and i used the pump and a long rubber hose from home depot and filled each conatianer up and put the live rock in it. After all the cans were filled up i started to drain the rest till we were able to lift it up and out on the forklift. Though this tank was heavy, i saved almost 50% of the water and within 6 hours i had it running. If this helps, good. Good luck

saltn00b

i am agreeing with the last 2 posters.
get your self new large trash cans and take the rock and water with you, leaving the sand and enough water to keep the sand covered in the tank.
you will need to replace that rio2100 as it is not a suitable size return pump for a tank that size.