??? transferring to a new (bigger) tank

krautburner

ok,
I'm looking at going up 50% in size
I'm looking at a 75-90gal tank (from a 58?)
I will be getting more Live rock and live sand from the LFS when I do it.
I don't have alot in my tank
Blue Hippo
Dragon Gobe
50+lbs of live rock (over 4 years old)
a bunch of mushroom corals and a leather toadstool
and a big clean up crew
I was wondering if I can just move everyhing from my old tank to the new one? or do I need to cycle the new one before moving my rocks/livestock?
thanks guys
Russ

mr_x

you can move everything right over to the larger tank. you might get some funny algae blooms due to the new surfaces, but otherwise you'll be fine.
i've done this multiple times with no trouble.

spiderwoman

You should be able to move everything pretty much without any cycle. You may get some if your LS is really dirty and get a nitrate spike. What I did when I went from 55 to 75 is get brand new LS and cured LR and I had no cycle at all. That was 3 weeks ago.

krautburner

ok,
I found a tank,
I may be picking it up in the next couple weeks
here's what I'm thinking:
fill the new tank 1/2 way with water (start powerhead and heater)
set s/g
add new LS and LR (I figure I'll be adding 15-30lbs of cured rock from the LFS, enough fresh sand to get an inch or so, and 20lbs or so of live sand)
then in this order:
move the L/R from my current tank
transfer 50% of water from current tank
move livestock from current tank
transfer remaining water
how's this sound?

rotarygeek

Thats sounds good. But remember that if you are making a new batch of water, let it sit for a couple days with some LR, then add everything else. And you probably will have left over water from your old tank, since your making new water. You will probably have a spike in nitrates since your going to have to stir up your sandbed, but your new water should negate that.