Transporting Fish and Tank

buckshott

I am a newbie, and I have to pick up a tank from someone who lives 5-1/2 hours away. He has a 39 gal. tank with live rock, coral, sand etc. Also there is a Vallentini Puffer included. How would I transport this? And what do I need to do when I get it home. Thanks.

mbrands

I've never moved a tank, so others might have some better suggestions.
I would suggest getting a large rubbermaid tub. Put all the rock, sand and water into the rubbermaid.
Get some bags from your local fish store (LFS) to bag the puffer and corals. I'd see if they also have an insulated box you can borrow or purchase to keep the fish and corals warm.
Good luck!

veganman

I've had luck using 5gal food service buckets (with lids) from the local restaurant supply store.
I would move the live rock this way, covered with water to minimize die off.
I would bag the fish and corals in the largest bags available, line a rubbermaid tub with a blanket for insulation and padding, and transport that way.
The rubbermaid tubs worked great, but they were hard to move. (Much heavier than they appear once filled)
HTH!

scorphntr

I just moved a 60 gallon. The trip was 6 hours long.
Looks like you have some good advice already, but this is what I did.
First of all I would do some water tests before you leave, that way after you set up the tank you can determine what the water quality is like. After you get the tank set up at your final locale, get the filter, ect.. running and take another test. You will for sure stir up every ounce of crud on the rocks and stuff.
So your test might turn up bad :(
You should be able to save all of your original water(if its anygood) and put right back in the tank.
I used a big rubbermade tub to transport the LR and most of the water.
I suggest getting your LFS to give or sell you some of their bags and transport them that way.
SWF.com ships there fish that way, right? So I am sure they will be fine untill you get your tank set up.
I am just a newb to the whole SW thing so I don't actually claim to know jack squat.
The number one thing I wish I would have done was test the water!! It might be worth it to just start your tank from scratch with new water instead of trying to fix water that is already crappy.
Good luck.

mbrands

Originally posted by Scorphntr
It might be worth it to just start your tank from scratch with new water instead of trying to fix water that is already crappy.

The water shouldn't be that bad if you use a gravel vac to suck it out before all the crap gets stirred up from the bottom. I'd still recommend trying to re-use all the original water, but now that I think about it, be sure to have pre-mixed new water prepared in case you need to do a water change. I'd have 20-30 gallons ready if you can.