Treating Ich with Inverts

kainrahl

So is there any good way to treat ich in a tank that has inverts? Say if your whole DT comes down with ich and there is no way to quarantine everything? Just a question I don't have ich but I have been reading about it and it seems that there really isn't a way to do it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The most effective ways of treating ich can not be used in the presence of LR or inverts.

I understand both cleaner and fire shrimp will help clean ick to some extent.
Does anyone know which one would be better, cleaner or fire shrimp? any other types of inverts?

lion_crazz

Cleaner shrimp are okay for ich, but they will not get rid of it at all.
Hyposalinity needs to be done in a tank without inverts and rock.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Absolutely. You must remember that ich is an invert. There is no way to kill one specific invert and not your valuable ones.

dadszx7

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Sorry to jump oin this thread. Can please check my thread that I posted today. I need your help on ick/hypo. My user id is dadszx7

sepulatian

Originally Posted by dadszx7
Sorry to jump oin this thread. Can please check my thread that I posted today. I need your help on ick/hypo. My user id is dadszx7
we have you covered dad

scubadoo

Originally Posted by kainrahl
So is there any good way to treat ich in a tank that has inverts? Say if your whole DT comes down with ich and there is no way to quarantine everything? Just a question I don't have ich but I have been reading about it and it seems that there really isn't a way to do it.
One option although success rate is low is large water changes and careful vacuuming of the substrate. This approach is ALL based on timing within the life cycle and can help in controlling an outbreak...but an outright removal of all parasites from the system is not likely. It can help if one of the conditions contributing to the disease outbreak poor water quality was present by improving water quality and hoping to boost the health of the fish to fight the disease on their own. The water changes and vacuuming will remove some of the unattached parasites......but it is really not a wise approach to take.
You did ask.....

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
One option although success rate is low is large water changes and careful vacuuming of the substrate. This approach is ALL based on timing within the life cycle and can help in controlling an outbreak...but an outright removal of all parasites from the system is not likely. It can help if one of the conditions contributing to the disease outbreak poor water quality was present by improving water quality and hoping to boost the health of the fish to fight the disease on their own. The water changes and vacuuming will remove some of the unattached parasites......but it is really not a wise approach to take.
You did ask.....
I don't realy see how you can "time" ich's life cycle when they are not all at the same stage of life. Improved water quality is a plus, but ich is not a virus. It is a parasite and hyposalinity is how to stop the life cycle.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by sepulatian
I don't realy see how you can "time" ich's life cycle when they are not all at the same stage of life. Improved water quality is a plus, but ich is not a virus. It is a parasite and hyposalinity is how to stop the life cycle.
It is an option...and I stated it is not that likely to work. It is based on luck....but if you have no options...it is better than adding some of those colored water reef safe garbage. You will find it on a list of possible treatments...although as I stated...it is not a wise option.
The individual asked if there is an option...and that is one. it is based on timing....and you are just working in the dark. You are simply attempting to continually remove the unattached...a shot in the dark as I have stated. not a good way.....but better than doing nothing or adding some colored water.