Trial run of "AcroPower"

pegasus

I've been reading a lot of articles and reviews about AcroPower amino acid formula for corals. I don't normally buy into a lot of hype without solid backing. I bought a bottle of AcroPower and dosed my main tank with it last night. I didn't expect to see any difference for at least a few days, or a few weeks... or no change at all. Well... it didn't take 24 hours before I noticed quite a change! They claim this stuff gives good polyp extension and color for all corals, but I haven't noticed any difference in my softies or LPS, but then again... it's been less than 24 hours. One thing that it did impact was my SPS. I thought they looked different, but didn't realize how much difference there was until I compared before and after pics of the corals. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so posting these pics will save me a lot of typing... lol! These pictures were taken under exactly the same lighting, same camera with same settings, and nearly the same time of evening. Can you see a difference between the before and after pics?

Porite before:
before1a.jpg

Porite after:
after1a.jpg

Acro before:
before4a.jpg

Acro after:
after4a.jpg

Pink Pocillopora before:
before2a.jpg

Pink Pocillopora after:
after2a.jpg

Green Pocillopora before:
before3a.jpg

Green Pocillopora after:
after3a.jpg

silverado61

WOW! Major difference dude! I'm going t have to Google that.

Not that I have a lot of corals, but still.

pegasus

WOW! Major difference dude! I'm going t have to Google that.

Not that I have a lot of corals, but still.
So my eyes aren't deceiving me? I figured what the heck... I may as well try it since it was developed by Julian Sprung.
(I've heard he's supposed to be pretty good at saltwater stuff)

pegasus

Just bought a bottle today. We'll see what happens.
Yeah... Julian rocks!!! I've watched a few video presentations by him, and the guy is scary smart when it comes to marine life...

It says to dose 5ml per 25 gallons at least once a week, or as often as daily. For now, I'm dosing a little under 5 ml per 25 gallons every other day just to make sure nothing get out of whack. So far, so good. If everything stays stabile, I may up the dosage and use it daily. If that happens, I'll be glad I bought the 1000ml bottle... lol!

novahobbies

This is so funny that you posted this. I just got a bottle on Wednesday, started the dose, and thought I would photodocument a few corals over the course of a month (weekly shots). You've beaten me to it!! Looks great. So far I don't see the amount of PE that you have, but I can be patient....

pegasus

This is so funny that you posted this. I just got a bottle on Wednesday, started the dose, and thought I would photodocument a few corals over the course of a month (weekly shots). You've beaten me to it!! Looks great. So far I don't see the amount of PE that you have, but I can be patient....
Thanks, nova. I'd been researching coral supplements, and settled on AP. I was very surprised at the PE on the day after the first dose. It hasn't changed, and I'm dosing every other day. Sorry, I didn't mean to "beat you to it"... LOL!!! By all means, post pictures so we can see how it's working out for you. Personally, I don't think it's "crack for corals", but it has definitely made a difference in the appearance of my corals. Only time will tell if it promotes growth...

bang guy

I'm sure Julian put a lot more research into it that Marc Weiss.

Just FYI - In the old days of reefing it was discovered that dosing fructose caused coral polyps to swell. It didn't make them healthier, probably the opposite, but it does make them expand more.

reefkeeperZ

i'm just curious because often bottled or powdered "magic ointment" is little more than repackaged, waste. or a mixture of already commonly available stuff blended and price jacked for profit. Being a julian sprung product, I wouldn't say that that is what this stuff is since he's definitely reputable and knowledgable. but I want to know whats in everything I put in my tanks. if your dosing with something you can't test you could in the long run be creating a bigger problem than you are solving.

pegasus

does anyone have an analysis of whats in that stuff?
I think it's like Colonel Sander's KFC "secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices"... a highly guarded secret. It's likely that you won't find anything about the ingredients. At least I haven't... so far. I'm pretty sure it consists of (at least) 8 of the major aminos, possibly up to 16. As far as the ratios, it's anyone's guess.

pegasus

I wonder how many brown algae will increase by using this product.
None. I've always had a light case of cyano, and for the last year, a light case of hair algae. I have noticed no difference in the growth of cyano or hair algae in the two weeks I've been using AcroPower...

I have started to use Lugol's Solution by Kent about two weeks ago, and the brown algae start grown a little more than usual than I stop. I will keep this in mind.