Triggers and inverts

kwagner21

Hello all,
This is my first post, I was wondering what inverts you can keep with a trigger? I have a 75 gallon FOWLR, with 3 yellow tailed damsels at the moment, tank has been up and running for 5 weeks. I am planning on adding a huma huma trigger in month or so.
Thanks everybody,
Kevin

topfish2

Triggerfish are (in my opinion) are the worst fish for reef tanks, they eat all inverts. You may get lucky with a baby sargassum or Niger,b ut your getting a huma and he'll eat those inverts. And just to tell you that eventually the huma will eat the damsels. You may get luckey with a large hermit, or a conch, but tha usually never happens. Good Luck!

pattie

TRIGGERS ARE NASTY, TERRITORIAL AND THEY HAVE TEETH, I HAVE AN ESTABLISHED AGGRESSIVE TANK AND WANTED TO ADD A FISH SO I BOUGHT AN EMPEROR SNAPPER, BUT THEY GET TOO BIG TOO SOON SO I PULLED IT OUT AND WAITED A FEW DAYS AND BOUGHT A CUTE $25.00 "DOTTY BACK"WHICH MY TRIGGER HAD FOR LUNCH RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES ASAP SO DID MY SQUIRREL FISH TRY TO EAT IT HEAD FIRST BUT WAS TOO BIG...THE HUMA BIT AND BIT AND BIT AND I FELT SO HORRIBLE BECAUSE MY DOTTY BACK HAD NO CHANGE!!! TRIGGERS CAN GO WITH OTHER FISH AS LONG AS YOU GET THEM SMALLER PERHAPS THAT THE OTHER FISH...THEY DON'T BOTHER BIRD WRASSES, THESE GET BIG, OR CLOWN FISH, THEY SEEM TO SWIM AWAY..IT IS SO HARD TO KEEP ADDING SINCE WE LOOSE SOME AND SOME SURVIVE THE TERRITORY...I LOVE MY RED HERMIT CRAB, IT CHANGED SHELL AS SOON AS IT WAS INTRODUCED TO MY AQUARIUM, (HOW COOL IT WAS TO SEE IT'S LITTLE BUTT GO INTO A NEW AND WAY BIGGER SHELL I THRU IN) AND I PLACED OTHERS THERE, THEY CLEAN UP THE BOTTOM, GETTING ANY INVERTEBRATES IS A WASTE OF MONEY, TRIGGERS LOVE THESE...GOOD LUCK, PATTIE :)

ohscc

I have a huma huma trigger and I love it. However it did eat 20 of my snails. I would never put in anymore inverts in my tank. However, I introduced a minitus grouper and the grouper is the king of the tank now. I don't know how they would be with a smaller fish since the grouper I got was bigger than the trigger. However if you like the huma huma and don't mind not keeping inverts,and have at least a 55 gal. tank then go for it.(however the trigger is an aggressive eater and the damsels may not get any food so you will have to chose between the damsels and the trigger.) I love mine!

demodan

My huma is great, but...
Trigger=preditor
Inverts=prey
Mine even ate my hermits, bit through the shells, I think. Triggers are easy to care for, and look so cool, but you have to be careful what you put in with him (or her).