triggers or tangs and angel

jonny

alrighty i have an empty 210g with about 175lbs of live rock. had a tang and angel before, but they got ich and did not survive. so its been awhile and now time for something to go in. so question is tangs and an angel (and some other sorts) or should i go with a couple triggers. so let me know what i should do. i go to the fish store almost everyday with the intent on buying something to start out with but never do cause i can't decide. so i need your guys help. let me know what fish you would do as well.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by jonny
alrighty i have an empty 210g with about 175lbs of live rock. had a tang and angel before, but they got ich and did not survive. so its been awhile and now time for something to go in. so question is tangs and an angel (and some other sorts) or should i go with a couple triggers. so let me know what i should do. i go to the fish store almost everyday with the intent on buying something to start out with but never do cause i can't decide. so i need your guys help. let me know what fish you would do as well.
Why not start out by telling us what you like; or buy the fish you like best and go from there? It is your tank and everyone is here to offer advice and opinions based on experience.....but you decide in the end.

bexleyfish

Triggers and tangs and angels o my... wouldnt it be cool if the did a remake of Wizard of Oz but set under water?

mike22cha

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Why not start out by telling us what you like; or buy the fish you like best and go from there? It is your tank and everyone is here to offer advice and opinions based on experience.....but you decide in the end.
Agreed.
If it were me I'd go w/ an emperor angel, tangs, and a peaceful trigger.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Agreed.
I like this grouping; watching an emperor grow to an adult is really exciting; really gives you a feeling of accomplishment. Do a lot of homework on this fish; they're not difficult, but demanding.

jonny

i have been into this for about 2-3 years so far. i have kept an achilles and an emp until one day my heater went out and the achilles died. loved the achilles absolutley the coolest fish for me. the emp didn't make the transition to the 210 about a year ago. never kept triggers and would love to get one but who knows. love the queens and clowns and black. so who knows. i know the queen and especially clown are hit and miss that you might get one that won't terrorize everything. but anyways i have gone into the petstores knowing about each of the fish there and just can't decide. i just need to buy that first fish and start and then i would be good but i can never decide.
so anyways what about this.
2 options
queen trigger
clown trigger
or
achilles tang
naso tang
emp angel
black trigger
pinktail trigger
and then some other stuff.
what about it.??

srfisher17

Being at the mercy of a heater thermostat has happened to me too. Get a thermometer with a temp alarm; they work and the place where you bid always has some deals.
You'll get a lot of help with the fish choices you've outlined; but IMO, A Clown and a Queen trigger together is the aquatic version of Michael Vick action.

kirkaz

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Being at the mercy of a heater thermostat has happened to me too. Get a thermometer with a temp alarm; they work and the place where you bid always has some deals.
You'll get a lot of help with the fish choices you've outlined; but IMO, A Clown and a Queen trigger together is the aquatic version of Michael Vick action.
Maybe throw in an Undulate too?? I would love to have a Queen or Clown someday, I don't know about together though, maybe in my swimming pool if I could get the water set up right...kidding. Love the Achilles and Naso together, I had that combo for several years, I agree Jonny, Achilles are fantastic once you get them established, mine lived 7 years. Love the Emporer too. Pleanty of room for a big eel in there...Fimby, Zebra???

jonny

my wife hates snakes. and says that eels are too close and so she says no to those. i figure i have this understanding wife that lets me have 4 tanks in our house one being a 210 that i can live with the no eels. however i did want to have a blue ribbon eel really bad but she said no. and right now i'm running 2 heaters so at least if one goes out the other can manage for a little bit before it gets overran.

aquaknight

Here's what I'd put in, Juvi Emp. Angel, Naso and Convict tangs, Harliquin Tusk, and some type of Trigger pair, I really like blue throats....

jonny

if i do any tangs an achilles is almost a must. they are just the best. hopefully i can find a good specimen. he will be first or second in i go for him.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by jonny
if i do any tangs an achilles is almost a must. they are just the best. hopefully i can find a good specimen. he will be first or second in i go for him.
I agree; Achilles tangs are magnificent. They have a rep as being hard to keep and the online stores that I respect have mixed feelings about this. IMO, and in my experience, they are demanding fish; but thrive under pristine water conditions and the right diet. Do plenty of homework on this fish; I think they're worth the effort. I think people (myself included) often remember losing pricey fish more than cheaper ones, thus; they were considered more difficult. Another reason these fish are considered "difficult" is that they are poor shippers (so are many clownfish). I usually buy all my fish online; but this is a fish I might want to see eat before I bought it; but there is always that 14 day guarantee!

mike22cha

Here's what I'd do:
-Pair of Crosshatchs
-Emperor Angel
-Puffer
-Yellow Tang
-Naso Tang(maybe a pair?
)
-Blue Hippo Tang
-Harquelin Tusk(Not sure on spelling
)

peter1215

heres what i have in my 210 fowlr:
pair of clarkii
double saddle b/f
niger trigger
flame angel
juvi french angel
queen angel (6'-7") inches
harlequin tusk
I would love to add a crosshatch but its way past my budget!

aquaknight

Originally Posted by peter1215
Blue throats aren't, and they have a better persontality, and are prettier IMO...

kirkaz

Originally Posted by peter1215
heres what i have in my 210 fowlr:
pair of clarkii
double saddle b/f
niger trigger
flame angel
juvi french angel
queen angel (6'-7") inches
harlequin tusk
Thats sounds like a nice tank...Your Queen and French get along? I know its a pretty large tank, but isn't that a no no? Especially when the French gets big. Just curious.

peter1215

Originally Posted by kirkaz
Thats sounds like a nice tank...Your Queen and French get along? I know its a pretty large tank, but isn't that a no no? Especially when the French gets big. Just curious.
they actually get along quite well. the french is only about 3-5 inches right now. sometimes during eating the queen may chase him off a bit but otherwise ignores the french completely. if i see any stress on either fish when the french gets bigger, I'll move one out.
btw a friend who has an eight foot tank has three angels and they're doing quite well. when it comes to mixing angels i think the key is not to get them from the same genus. it also helps to get them different sizes .

jonny

well i got a powder brown a couple days ago. put him in QT and he starting getting something. then my friends tank springs a leak and needed to get rid of some fish. i had to put a sailfin in with him as well. they are in a 75 right now but soon will go to the 210. he also had some clowns so we will see. i will keep you posted. i believe i will be doing the emp with an achilles next. then last prolly a black and pinktail trigger. maybe a burr webber puff. or another angel

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Agreed.
I have an Emperor, blueface, Hippo, Naso, and a Niger Trigger. They all get along happy in my tank