Trip to my LFS :(

jayson417

Well,
I just got back from my LFS, Had to bring my puffer to him for a trade in as he just got to big for me to keep. It was so hard for me i loved him like my dog. Was able to pet him and everything and when i opened the lid he used to spit at me when he was hungry.
He was so upset in the bag i just couldn't wait to leave the store, and now i cant go back there til he is sold!
Anyone had an experience like this?

meowzer

Thank goodness NO...I have a 225g with a cortez stingray..HOPEFULLY she will never outgrow my tank...I am very attached to her...I feed her by hand every morning,
So sorry you had to do that...I know if my ray were to outgrow her tank...getting a larger tank is not an option...

aquaknight

That's a tough story too hear. These fish do truly become just like other pets.
I had to give my Goldbar Wrasse away. Just too much fish for my 125gal, swim all 6 feet, end to end in the blink of eye almost all the time. I only had for a three months (1 1/2 in QT) so I wasn't too attached.
I do have probably just as heart breaking of story. I had a Harlequin Tusk that withered away in front of me. I am by no means an expert, but I consider myself to know my way around a fish tank. QT'ed great, but things started going south not even a week in the display. Moved back to QT where she just got worse and worse to the point I had to put her down, nasty infections, little move, where there was, it was erratic, etc. That was really tough, really question the hobby for a week or two.

jayson417

I'm sorry to hear that. First thing i do when i wake up or come home from work is run to the fishy tank to do a head count and make sure everyone is happy. When i was bagging up Mr Puffer i told my wife to tie the bag and put him in the car as i couldnt bare to do it.
Lesson learned i will not buy a fish that cant stay with me forever.

ophiura

It is hard, but you did the right thing.
THis is truly why I recommend people by a tank to sustain the fish they want long term. Because often people aren't as good as you...they don't realize when the fish really needs a larger tank.

ophiura

And I'll add that while it happens with any fish (dang, even inverts) it is particularly hard with the "high personality" aggressive fish that really seem to interact more than community fish.