troble keeping tangs

chris0799

no matter what i do i can keep a tang alive for longer than a month. my water levels are good and i do a 10% water change every 2 weeks. i have a75 gallon tank. they all end up dying from ick. what could be wrong?

garick

You'll probably want to list your water parameters. Tank Mates and anything living in your tank.

chris0799

parameters are all good.
i have 2 clownfish, coral banded shring, emerald crab, and some hermits and snails.

garick

well different tangs = different requirements. From Salinity to temperature. Might just wanna post what yours are. Your feeding regiments and such.
If every other fish in your tank is fine, and your tangs die from ich. Something is either stressing them out. Or your getting them already sick. Which should either way infect your entire tank. Unless of course they are dieing in a QT tank.
Again, personal opinion.
Plus I am certain the professionals here will need to know this info to really be able to help you.

nycbob

list as much info as possible, such as tank parameters, how much lr, what equipments r u running? where did u get the tangs from? which one was it? hard to help with no details and pic.

mjm889

plus what kinds of tangs are they yellow, blue etc, that sometimes is the difference, im not a big fan of lfs anymore. the seem to cut alot of corners, i know because i used to work for one for 3 years before i found my career, will help you through this

olemiss

Are you putting your new fish in a quarantine tank? I'd remove the clowns and treat(copper or hypo) them in a qt tank and leave the tank fallow for 8 weeks to kill off the ich in the tank, then quarantine all new arrivals. Tangs are generally more susceptible to ich than most fish but using a qt tank and keeping them in a proper environment, ich will not be a concern. Out of curiosity what type/size tangs have you tried? Most will grow too large for a 75 causing stress and increase the chance of ich.

nycbob

Originally Posted by OleMiss
http:///forum/post/3187592
Are you putting your new fish in a quarantine tank? I'd remove the clowns and treat(copper or hypo) them in a qt tank and leave the tank fallow for 8 weeks to kill off the ich in the tank, then quarantine all new arrivals. Tangs are generally more susceptible to ich than most fish but using a qt tank and keeping them in a proper environment, ich will not be a concern. Out of curiosity what type/size tangs have you tried? Most will grow too large for a 75 causing stress and increase the chance of ich.
remember ick just dont show up in a tank. it has to be introduced. if a fish is stressed in an ick-free tank, it cant get ick unless the fish is already carrying the parasites. i believe most people (more than 75%) dont hv a qt. thats why its important to buy from reputable dealers only.

flower

Every tang I have ever gotten no matter who from, had ich, but I have never lost a tang. However I don’t think that the “medicines” they sell for it works. It always came back.
I admit I have never used copper to treat it, nor had at the time, a QT
So in my reef...
Tangs need warmth, my tang stayed stressed as long as my temps were kept at 78, when I upped the temps to the 80s the fish acted better, and then I started using shrimp soaked in fresh garlic juice to try and boost the immunity. I also purchased cleaner shrimp which likes to pick the parasite off of the fish.
My tang managed to stay healthy long enough for the parasite to die off because it had no host. Now even a full tank move and the fish didn't get ich, whereas before it would get it even after a simple water change.
So if your system is infected and you can’t remove all your fish, because the QT is too small for all of them…Why not try feeding them some garlic juice laced shrimp, up your temps to the 80s, and get a couple of cleaner shrimp?
Warm temps does nothing to kill ich, it just makes the fish happier. Some swear by garlic, and some disagree, cleaner shrimp only pick at the white spot and not clean the parasite at the free swimming stage .However keep in mind it is the white spot stage that kills the fish.
In spite of all the arguments…this worked for me, and may work for you.

evanjah

ich is present in every aquarium. Its whether or not your fish are healthy enough to fight it off. I used to have a lot of problems with ich on tangs. Had exact same problem. First and formost.(1) Always be picky when buying a fish look for a healthy one make sure you seem him eat. Swims around fine body has no visible flaws. (2)Against what everyone swears by on here i never qt. WHy wouyld you stress a fish out even more by moving him to multiple tanks.(3) Your tank has to be very clean.POST YOUR PARAMETERS, we will tell you if there ok. I use vitamin c and garlic on a regular basis as treatment. If tangs are eating nori with fresh garlic smushed into it they most likely will pull thru. Vitamin c helps boost the immune system. This has worked for me for years now. just food for thought

wangotango

I think temperature has more to do with respiration rather than overall health. If you put a tropical fish into cooler water, they go into a type of "stand by" mode. I keep my personal tank around 80 degrees, while we keep the tank here at Penn State around 76 degrees. I havn't noticed any significant difference between overall health of the fish (tangs included).
As far as QT goes, some do it some don't. I havn't QTed a fish or coral and I've been lucky so far. I know people who are just like me, but had to rip their tank apart to take out corals affected with flatworms, redbugs, etc, and remove their fish because of an ick outbreak. There are certain internal parasites that affect some fish which a QT with medications can help cure. As long as you allow the fish time to adjust and acclimate (versus throwing it in QT for a day then into your DT) I think it'll do more good than harm.
A healthy fish from the get-go is key, as well as keeping it well fed to maintain a strong immune system.
-Justin