Trouble Makers on The Bessage Boards

maxalmon

For the most part I feel this a respectfull & informative forum, the flame wars and name calling are at a minimum

I really look forward to reading responces to postings, there are a few members that I can't wait to read what they have to say :joy: . There are others, when I see their name on a post it makes me want to smack my head a few times with a sledge hammer
because I know what they have to say is going to cause grief and pain

spectre879

I also hope that I havent come across as stupid or infatuated. Some of my posts are large but thats just because I am detailed in almost everything I do. I do not believe that I have said anything rude, distasteful or acted ignorant, but if any one believes so, please speak up so that I may mend the situation.

vanquish

IMO I have found this forum to be, for the most part, a very friendly and informative place to get information and answer people’s questions. I do agree though, many people do some ego stroking. It’s kept to a minimum however, and that most people on here don’t feel like they have to prove anything. Some apparently do though, and oftentimes react in a very overly defensive way when one challenges a preconceived notion. Sometimes people on here just need to relax a little bit, bicker less and start fewer fights. An argument really should end with the thread it was had on.

timo

For all those that post 93 times a day while having just started their 10 gallon "nano",
And those that say "you need" and "go buy this", having little insight into the product's efficacy,
And mostly to those that read a tip on the boards and then chime into every related thread and proclaim their new knowledge as the only way to go,
Hello!
However, nothing interests me more than a reefer willing to learn.
TimO

jsgreer1

Originally Posted by ReefDude37
When someone asks for advice, They want responses with what they want to hear, while people are just trying to give facts
i agree with this fella, ive seen a lot of ppl say things like "can a tang be in a 29 gal tank?" and when you tell them no that it will be stressed they freak out and say your jumping them and they've had the fish for 6 months and hes fine so your wrong. so i dont think ppl on this site are rude i just think ppl think they are when someone tells them something other than what they want to hear. i say if you dont want to know dont ask.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
wattsupdock ur likemy favorite person on here. your ALWAYS helpful!
TY ryanhayes9
Ihave been lucky to get some awesome help from some awesome people on here. TY to all

I think that theres something missing on message boards, tone of voice, body language and basicly emotion.Those are hard to achieve in text. So when someone rerads something it is often felt at their interpretation. Humanaity is blanketed by stale words.

alyssia

Originally Posted by jsgreer1
i agree with this fella, ive seen a lot of ppl say things like "can a tang be in a 29 gal tank?" and when you tell them no that it will be stressed they freak out and say your jumping them and they've had the fish for 6 months and hes fine so your wrong. so i dont think ppl on this site are rude i just think ppl think they are when someone tells them something other than what they want to hear. i say if you dont want to know dont ask.

saltwater8

Originally Posted by TimO
For all those that post 93 times a day while having just started their 10 gallon "nano",
And those that say "you need" and "go buy this", having little insight into the product's efficacy,
And mostly to those that read a tip on the boards and then chime into every related thread and proclaim their new knowledge as the only way to go,
Hello!
However, nothing interests me more than a reefer willing to learn.
TimO
As from a script...here's one of the (well, everyone has a different name form them...)

I would rather have someone "post 93 times a day while having just started their 10 gallon "nano"" - it means they actually care enough to seek others advice and do things right.
I also wish I knew about this site when I started and had people to tell me what "you need".
"And mostly to those that read a tip on the boards and then chime into every related thread and proclaim their new knowledge"
It's called - learning...try it sometime

Sorry for speaking my mind, but this guy is one of the worst, rude, arrogant........ I am sure some of you have come across his posts....
Other than that, I am sure 99.9% of the rest of us would be more than happy to help anyone, no matter how many times they post a day, or what size tank they have!

How's that for calling them on it fishy? ***)

moby

Humanaity is blanketed by stale words
Yikes! That is the problem with modern society. I write for a living and nothing throughout history have we found that can convey the human emotion or condition like a well written book. Shakespeare anyone?

Right this minute I'm smiling while I write this. Can you tell? Probably not, it sounds pompous for me to lecture someone on writing. But for me this isn't meant to be arrogant, just stimulating conversation. I think we all suffer from this when we talk about something we are passionate about like aquariums, writing or in my case both.
Unfortunately some folks just like to be mean spirited. To them I think we just have to laugh and go on with our day.
Moby

timo

Saltie, dry your eyes and buck up... we had some fun back there and some learning took place.
And, please, keep yourself in ckeck.

sepulatian

oye!!! a discussion on rude people gets rude, film at 11:00
I love the people on here, mostly so nice, I have my favorites, who doesn't!! Lion Crazz, Moby, Alyssia, nothing but love for ya!!!!!
:cheer: :jumping:

spectre879

I believe that this post is helping to relieve some withheld stress and angred opinions, but why not look at the whole picture. THIS IS A HOBBY. I dont see many people on these boards talking about doing this for a living or relying on a government grant to finish their aquariums. People such as my self come to this board in search of help from other enthusiests and HOBBIESTS who have experience in the trade. We look to find help in diversified opinions and stated facts and hope that we can draw some knowledge from it to save ourselves a lot of pain. The last thing we need is to be smashed by someone who finds our presence annoying or unwelcome. This is a PUBLIC FORUM and no one has the right to degrade others based on lack of knowledge. Hell, you could be talking to a world renown physicist on the other side and never know it.

Being said, I would like to thank those who respond to posts in a respectful and polite way. You make up 80% of this board and are always happy to help and show support.
Its a pleasure to have such a resource but it should not be taken so literaly.

I have only had one problem so fare and that person happens to have posted on this thread...so
Hello, how do yo do?

adamc1303

There’s is nothing worse than a hateful person on a SW forum. When I first got my tank I didn't know much and listened to my LFS that wanted to sell sell sell. So I purchased 4 fish to add to my 90 gallon that already was overcrowded with 6 fish. I didn't know better the LFS told me it was fine and that I should add them all the same day to avoid fighting. I had no clue what a bio load was then this was aprox 2 years ago and I didn't know anything about compatibility. Anyway I added the fish and it was terrible they were fighting and killing each other within minutes. I went on this board and posted for help. Boy did I make a mistake I got FLAMED and killed for what I did. I got so upset that I didn't go on the board for months after that and really lost interest for the hobby since everything I enjoyed in the hobby was crushed. One thing I like about the SW hobby is that it is not a huge hobby so you don't have your average day person commenting or competing like in a sport hobby so to say. I like the fact that it is my own sort of little thing with my own interest and imagination running all the time, and the members that bashed me really took that away for a while, and all of you fellow hobbyist know what this hobby and fascination means to us. If I had something to do with this I would throw people off this site if the were jerks, even though they can just crate a new name it would still help especially once people know you by name on here.

viper_930

If there's ever a problem, feel free to report it by clicking on the "report a bad post" feature - the red triangle road sign located at the top of each post.

kalamity

Originally Posted by moby
Yikes! That is the problem with modern society. I write for a living and nothing throughout history have we found that can convey the human emotion or condition like a well written book. Shakespeare anyone?

Moby
Moby--I completely agree, but we're talking about gifted writers who have insight not only into the human conscience but into the human language as well. This is not meant to be an insult to ANYONE, but most of us do not have the talent and skill of an author. So, it can be difficult to convey the tone and purpose of a post on a message board. Then, as someone said, it is ultimately up to the reader to apply the tone of voice. I think that is where we run into a lot of problems; so many people are already on the defensive that they automatically assume people are attacking them. I admire you for making your living at writing...it's a tough job these days...

When I first got my tank I didn't know much and listened to my LFS that wanted to sell sell sell.
I did the same thing. I mean, why shouldn't we expect that the employees in a store that we shop at know what they are talking about. Do you know how many tanks I cycled with fish before I happened to stumble across an article a few years ago? You'd scream at my F/W combos in the past (and one of two now, I gather). I think it's a very sad comment about out society that 1). stores are only in it for the sale, 2). stores hire people who don't know what they're talking about just for the sale, and 3). that we must be forced to question the word of people who are there for customer service.
Point being, I wish people wouldn't flame others because, as beginners, they chose to do what MOST people would do: listen to the salesperson at the aquarium store. I think it's admirable that they (we....I'll include myself) are here to rectify mistakes or to learn more. I can't help but think of the number of people that have turned off of great places like this because they got yelled at the first time the posted a question and admitted that they had done something that they didn't even know was wrong.
You all have a tough job--corecting all the mistakes the LFS/LPS make just earn the buck. I admire you for doing that job; it really highlights your passion to help.

emperor11

I know I already posted on here...but again, I am glad to see that the name-calling has been slowly toned down, as several of the "trouble-making" members here were booted. There have been a couple times that I've gotten frustrated because of the comments some people make on here, and I am short-tempered, but I don't mean it. So,if I have ever been rude, or disrespectful, PLEASE speak up now. I'd like to fix the situation.

moby

So, it can be difficult to convey the tone and purpose of a post on a message board. Then, as someone said, it is ultimately up to the reader to apply the tone of voice. I think that is where we run into a lot of problems; so many people are already on the defensive that they automatically assume people are attacking them.
I agree 100%. It is very hard to accurately put into words the feeling of the message when writing. It is very easy to misinterpet the tone of the person doing the writing. Thank goodness for emoticons!

I admire you for making your living at writing...it's a tough job these days...
LOL! Well I doubt I will ever be the next Yates or Chekov. Just for the record I write professionally for a large aircraft manufacturer. Mostly technical manuals and safety training publications!

I have two books in the works, one is a "spin-off" for a Star Wars story. The other is a crime mystery set in the 20's.
Moby

misfit

I have always found this site helpful and I try to return that help to others, I also think sometimes threads get read differently then how the writer intended.I think it can be hard to understand if a person is nice or nasty just by jugdeing the words he uses.I think ,if you hear the persons tone of voice. its much easier to jugde but since that cant happen on here.I think it would help to pick words carefully