Troy and Andrews combined diary

T

tracher

Well i already moved them. I put live sand because I might leave my yellow watchman goby in there. The old tank had crushed coral not ls. Clown fish looks happy but ywg went under the rock and he came out once and i can see his head but i am still a bit worried.

fretfreak13

Don't get too freaked out. He's in a new enviornment, and from my experince..that's just what they do. lol Did you say you had crushed coral in with the watchman? That's really not safe, since they try to sift the sand they have in their mouths. They'll try to sift the larger, sharper particles and cut themselves all up and then...well, it's never too good from there from what I've heard.

T

tracher

I didn't know much when i started and know he comes out sometimes. I didn't know they were sifters though. I am going to try to find him a pistol shrimp :). Also I am probably going to buy more corals today. Since those aptasia killed them all i have left is my clam and fish and snail and hermits at least my favorite hermit crab (got him like a year ago) is still okay. The 10 has some aptasias but i got em' all (the ones i could see) with aptasia x... I have three peppermint shrimp that run around the tank all day. I think there is something wrong with them.

fretfreak13

Some just don't eat them. Its all in the specific personalities of the creatures. Every one is different. I would wait on buying more coral until you get all those aptaisa out if they killed your other ones. What's the point on buying more, spending the money and losing the coral, if they're all just going to be killed again? I think you should slow down a little, Troy.

T

tracher

The times that the aptasia killed my coral is when my tank had a lot of them. Now it has a few. I just noticed my clown is going to the bottom and like flipping up sand. Is that normal? I have a few snails and hermits (not very many) I want to buy more but what should i get? I have some of that red cyno stuff (from 29) does anything eat that?

fretfreak13

Yeah, clowns are called "clowns" for a reason. They all have little qirks and do silly stuff, like playing in the sand. Sounds like he just having some fun.
I'm placing an order for the Reef Cleaner Package here on SWF literally right now. Its 89 bucks, with free shipping. Thats all the CUC you could ask for in a 29. ;) (I have one too, but not a biocube). The only thing I would add to the list for my own would be a tiger cucumber. They're great sand stirrers and really help keep the sandbed white.
Cyano is not a form of algae, its a bacteria. Nothing eats it, though some places claim that things do (they're just trying to sell you stuff). The only cure for that, I'm afraid, is increased flow, regular water changes, and maybe cut down your lighting schedual a bit. What do you feed, and how often?

T

tracher

mysis 1 half cube per day but I started using a turkey baster so aptasia cant get it. sometimes i feed phyto to clam.

fretfreak13

Does any of the food go uneaten? It's good that you switched to a turkey baster, its a lot more controlled that way. Do you have a phosphate test?

T

tracher

I do not have a phosphate test. I had lots of flow in bc though. I don't have power heads in my 10 though.

nissan577

so andrew, talk to me hows the tank coming along. i got the nano section to work so i wanna know how everything is coming along :)

T

tracher

andrew doesnt use this i just put pics up for him he used to though... i put everything in a 10 for a while to restart the 29 aptasia was soooo bad you prety much couldnt see rock. not many aptasia in the 10 but everything is ok i either want to restart the 29 or get a new tank idk