"True Grit" is beyond good

cranberry

It just contained "nothing". I don't know, can't explain it. Jeff did an awesome job. Some of the lines were exactly how it was in the original, which was a proven recipe.... but it just didn't do it for me.
Val Kilmer in Tombstone is one of my all time favorite movies.

mrdc

The role he played in that movie is one of my all time best roles played. He was in the zone when he did that role.
As for Grit, I wished I hadn't watched the original two weeks ago because it felt like a just rewatched the same movie. (if that makes sense). The movie moved like a typical coen bro movie. Lots of dialogue with some action here and there making you think great things were about to happen but never do. I think they try to make a movie so realistic which is a good thing if that is what you want. But some of us want that hollywood touch with some over the top action which the bros don't provide. At least that is my take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///forum/thread/382619/true-grit-is-beyond-good/40#post_3342165
Val Kilmer in Tombstone is one of my all time favorite movies.

mrdc

You know I tried to like Dennis in his role but I just felt like he was "acting". Val just seemed to fill the part in so well that I thought he was actually a lunger.

cranberry

Yes, Quad was indeed excellent... lord he became skinny for that role.
But for me, Val climbed onto my top 5 list with that one.

mrdc

Well Quaid is Bulimic so that doesn't surprise me. At least he isn't in Canada dodging the hollywood hit squad. I really like Dennis just like I do Kurt Russell. They just strike me as dudes you wouldn't mind hanging with. I hope my impression isn't ruined like it was with Mel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///forum/thread/382619/true-grit-is-beyond-good/40#post_3342204
Yes, Quad was indeed excellent... lord he became skinny for that role.
But for me, Val climbed onto my top 5 list with that one.

deejeff442

went and saw true grit this afternoon.not bad but certainly not in my top 5 best westerns.i still like josey wales as #1.we did enjoy the one liners alot.the little girl should win some kind of award she was great.

stdreb27

I watched it last night. Although I do agree it isn't the BEST western ever. It was probably one of the best movies I saw last year. It was pretty dang awesome. (but I do think it is a testament to the utter garbage that gets put out by holywood these days) since it wasn't utter garbage. and I liked the ending better.

deejeff442

i loved the line.so when did the rangers start mounting sheep? i wondered why he shot the horse?wasnt the thing just tired?

reefraff

Cause if you rode a horse to the point it was so tired it couldn't stand it would more than likely die so a quick bullet was the humane thing to do.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/382619/true-grit-is-beyond-good/40#post_3343600
i loved the line.so when did the rangers start mounting sheep? i wondered why he shot the horse?wasnt the thing just tired?
Because it was the humane thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/thread/382619/true-grit-is-beyond-good/40#post_3343669
Cause if you rode a horse to the point it was so tired it couldn't stand it would more than likely die so a quick bullet was the humane thing to do.
oh

mrdc

I hope no one pops a cap in my head the next time I run myself too hard around the track.

S

saxman

Sorry...even tho the actors did a good job, and I do like Jeff Bridges a lot, and Hailee Steinfeld was top notch (she was better than Kim Darby IMHO), as were Damon, Brolin, and Pepper, the movie had some big boots to fill, and it just didn't quite make the cut IMHO. For whatever reason, the whole production just didn't "gel" for me, altho I do understand that the movie was targeted at a different "generation" than most of the greats. Much to Cranberry's chagrin, I'm a western movie lover, so I've seen them all (and now so has she!).
Now, this past weekend, I took the boys to see the Tron remake (also starring Jeff Bridges) at the 3D IMAC, and it pretty much rocked the house down IMHO (the original TRON just plain sucked)...
Some movies scream to be remade, but there are some that should simply be left alone, IMHO...

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/382619/true-grit-is-beyond-good/40#post_3344668
Sorry...even tho the actors did a good job, and I do like Jeff Bridges a lot, and Hailee Steinfeld was top notch (she was better than Kim Darby IMHO), as were Damon, Brolin, and Pepper, the movie had some big boots to fill, and it just didn't quite make the cut IMHO. For whatever reason, the whole production just didn't "gel" for me, altho I do understand that the movie was targeted at a different "generation" than most of the greats. Much to Cranberry's chagrin, I'm a western movie lover, so I've seen them all (and now so has she!).
Now, this past weekend, I took the boys to see the Tron remake (also starring Jeff Bridges) at the 3D IMAC, and it pretty much rocked the house down IMHO (the original TRON just plain sucked)...
Some movies scream to be remade, but there are some that should simply be left alone, IMHO...
I think the same thing but in reverse... I liked True Grit a lot better than I liked Tron. For the same reason. I think they did a good job redoing True Grit. But Tron's appeal was the wild blue yonder of computers so to speak. Which wouldn't be monochrome...

life~reefer

Went to see True Grit before Christmas and was amazed! This is a pretty awesome movie coming from me (someone that doesn't live and breathe westerns {Obviously I have seen the Good, Bad, & ugly and Josey Wales} ). All in all, I thought Bridges and Steinfeld had a great performance.
Today went to see 127 hours and thought that was great too! You think it would be a slow movie, but it was exciting and an inspiring movie about the willingness to live and life in just plain general.
Looking to go see the fighter next..
Anyone seen it??