Truth About Caulerpa

cranberry

What are we debating/discussing? I wanna join in but I'm missing it. Night shifts get harder as ya age.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3006362
What are we debating/discussing? I wanna join in but I'm missing it. Night shifts get harder as ya age.
I was just trying to point out that if you were to crash your tank due to having caulerpa in your refug it is due to it going sexual not as may people seem to think (Asexual)

spanko

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3006357
oh so the problem arises (no pun intended my dear friend Henry) when the caulerpa goes SEXUAL
Yes, is this not "the truth about Caulerpa".........well at least on the negative side?
So I went back and looke and here is the op's question;
"I currently keep caulerpa in my refugium which I keep lit 24/7. Every now and then there are pieces floating in my DT. What is the truth about caulerpa, will stray pieces destroy my tank
, I keep hearing conflicting stories and would like to know if I should be concerned."
Thanks, Jean
So..........
In and of themselves they have the potential to land, and form whole new plants that will grow quickly, if left unchecked can smother out other life, and if they decide one night to "procreate" after lights out can cause major problems for you and your tank. Destroy it, probably not. Be a royal PITA you bettcha, even if it does not "procreate" it will take constant attention each week to keep it harvested enough for the rest of your tank to survive.

jackri

Caulerpa is a very good nutrient exporter... but spend time pulling it out of your tank with a tweezers and it's not that great. No I didn't introduce it to my tank on purpose either.
I make a great nutrient export team with my skimmer and cheato and water changes. Everyone else can do what they want but not worth it IMO as its a pain ITA

cranberry

Still not sure I'm getting it but I want to clarify a point. It won't "blow" in the dark. It happens at first light or shortly thereafter. When I see it before I go to bed, I know I have until the next morning before the lights come on to get it out.
EDIT: And just to add to that, if your tank is in a room with lots of natural light "first light" can also mean the natural sun, not just the tank's light.

spanko

Ah thank you for the correction Renee. I always thought it was a lights out thing. Either way a PITA in my book to have to deal with it. I know you do in your tanks and kudos to you for having that kind of patience.