trying out different skimmers

So I have been on a spending spree lately trying to find the best protein skimmer for me... I purchased these two.
picture 1
-coralife Super skimmer 65 gal I have this setup on my 75 gallon tank and it works amazingly great! only crudy thing about it is, its pretty noisy and is very unatractive in your tank :( i really dont enjoy its looks... on the picture I will attaced I have a red arrow going to the air inlet I found a cool little trick to make the noise go away if you put a straw or some tubeing on the little nozzle for the air inlet it becomes as quite as a mouse :)
picture 2
-CPR bak Pak 2 I have this one running on my 75 gallon tank aswell. So I have both of my skimmers going at the same time. so far the CPR is much easier to use compared to the coralife.... but the o-ring setup is pretty hoaky :(... I was also having a lot of problems with salt creep from poping bubbles. so I fixed this problem by cutting up a filter sponge and stuffing it loosely insdie the exit tube for the skimmer no more salt creep. now this skimmer looks way way way better in your tank compared to the coralife.. so thats a plus :)
I am going to buy the CPR bak Pak dual next and see how that goes. and I am going to start modifiying my Bak pak 2 and messing with the pump and draining system and all that jazz to see how I can improve it. any ideas let me know and ill give it a shot.
so far I have
- fix the hoaky o-ring
- salt creep from exit

philip_r5

Hey I need a new protein skimmer you can buy me one :p I have the 125gallon coralife skimmer and im please with it. Can't believe for how cheap it is it can keep up with skimmers worth 3 times as much.

aquaguy24

carefull with the corallife super skimmer..they overflow easy and can cuz major water damage...also i hear they need constant tuning...just spend another $150 and get urself a decent skimmer...asm g1 should be good..i went with a aqua c ev 120 cuz the asm wouldn't fit under my stand..but im very happy with the ev120..i got the auto waste collector with auto shut off so i don't have to worry about it overflowing. also im not tuning it everytime after i feed or adding chemicals....set it and forget it..

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/2673746
just spend another $150 and get urself a decent skimmer...
agree completely. those two skimmers are grossly underrated for a 75, even combined.
I had a CSS 65 on my 65g w/ 20g fige and it had all the same problems. I upgraded to a Euro-Reef RS-100 and its a world of difference.

matt b

?????
CPR bak pack is horrible. Just get a octopus HOB. I had a BH300f and it would knock both those skimmers out. If you want a in sump then go with a octopus NW or ASM. Or return those and save your money and buy a bubble king.

peterpaul

I replaced my coralife super skimmer 125 with a euro reef rs-100 skimmer and it is worth the switch. Coralife skimmers tend to overflow way too often. It is way too finicky. Not sure about a CPR. I would recommend for you to get a good skimmer like euro reef, H&S, Deltec..... any of these are pretty good skimmers.

nakadoc

I agree, spend the money and get something good. Don’t spend on numerous junk to only recover a quarter of your cost and then have to fork up more in the end.
The CPR skimmers work well with smaller tanks and need adjustment from time to time. I had one over flow on me one night, melted a coralife timer. Good thing my daughter got up and I smelt the smoke.
I now only use Euro-reef skimmers, I currently have a RS180 and this thing is the truth!

My coralife flooded my house while on vacation! It siphoned my tank. I also had bad algae and nitrate problems. Took the thing off and all is good. I'd never use it. I have carpet and ceiling damage.

well thank you all for the heads up! I have been still buying different ones to use. and I am just looking for a good HOB skimmer. so octopus here I come!!! and maybe try the bubble king. I am looking for compact but good! I have three skimmers running on there right now! lol a lot but. every day I write down where its at and take notes lol. so far yes
the coralife is constant tuning and the the CPR is CRAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well anywho thank again...

I picked this skimmer out! going to buy soon! and ill review it :)
Octopus Hang-on-Back
Protein Skimmer
with Filter System BH-100F

maybe even this one
DBH-300F Octopus Dual
Hang-on-Back Protein
Skimmer with Filter
System
I dont want extreme overkill lol but what you guys think?

grabbitt

I was looking at an actopus HOB for my sump, figuring with some beckett work it would do fine, but I heard far better things about other brands. Are you sticking with HOB's or are in-sumps an option for you?
ASM makes some great skimmers (G1 and G1X), but Euroreef makes even better skimmers, IMO (ASM and Octopus are knock-offs from Euroreef). If you shop around used, I'm sure you could find one for a great price. I got my RS-80 this way for an awesome deal.

izzman

Originally Posted by GRabbitt
http:///forum/post/2677864
I was looking at an actopus HOB for my sump, figuring with some beckett work it would do fine, but I heard far better things about other brands. Are you sticking with HOB's or are in-sumps an option for you?
ASM makes some great skimmers (G1 and G1X), but Euroreef makes even better skimmers, IMO (ASM and Octopus are knock-offs from Euroreef). If you shop around used, I'm sure you could find one for a great price. I got my RS-80 this way for an awesome deal.
How many gallons does your RS-80 supply? Also, do you keep it in your sump our outside of it? I have a 75g I am putting together and I was thinking of getting the RS-100 but do you think that the RS-80 would supply more than enough for it? I will have a medium to low bioload in the tank. What are your thoughts? thanks

stdreb27

aquamedics makes a good hob skimmer, I have run the turboflator for a year with no problems. The only major downside is size. But it works and skims all kinds of crap out of my tank.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by izzman
http:///forum/post/2677922
How many gallons does your RS-80 supply? Also, do you keep it in your sump our outside of it? I have a 75g I am putting together and I was thinking of getting the RS-100 but do you think that the RS-80 would supply more than enough for it? I will have a medium to low bioload in the tank. What are your thoughts? thanks
I think the RS-80 is rated at 80 gallons (hence the name), so if you are keeping a low-medium bioload, it should do fine. I have mine directly sitting in the sump.

matt b

I had a BH 300F octopus on a heavily stocked 75 and it worked wonders. IMHO the deltec HOB is the best HOB skimmer. 2nd in bermuda rogue. 3rd is the octopus Octopus BHF300F. If you need help finding these just PM and I can send you links.

xtreeme

I got my cpr knock off brand only 2 days and its skimming. You should let it run before tuning it. It made no skim at first. Wouldnt reach the cup. Then it started skimming.
Odyssea backpack pro
Maxijet 1200 with air venturi mod
Total $80
Make small adjustment then let it run for 1 minute to see the effect.

xtreeme

bh100 is just a knock off, desing close to cpr. The cpr does work you have to let it break in though.
The design of the skimmer will effect the time for break in. Some work instant some take while. Most think if its doesnt skim instantly it isnt any good. Octopus is knock off co like odyssea or jebo.