Trying To Get My Damsel To Graze On Dried Seaweed

marine7198

i bought some dried seaweed for my damsel and he doesnt seem to pick at it. i put it on a clip for a few hours at a time for 2 weeks now and nothing has touched it. i feed him mysis and formula pellets regularly. i guess just wondering if anyone has a technique or tip

crimzy

Originally Posted by marine7198
http:///forum/post/2885931
i bought some dried seaweed for my damsel and he doesnt seem to pick at it. i put it on a clip for a few hours at a time for 2 weeks now and nothing has touched it. i feed him mysis and formula pellets regularly. i guess just wondering if anyone has a technique or tip
Just curious about why you feel that your damsel needs to eat nori. They are generally carnivorous fish. Moreover, they are the cockroaches of this hobby... and by that I just mean that they are almost impossible to kill. They are not necessarily the fish that you have to go out of your way to provide a varied diet just so they stay healthy. You could probably feed your damsel beef jerky and pizza crust and they would likely do fine.
If it were me I wouldn't feed nori to damsels.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2885969
Just curious about why you feel that your damsel needs to eat nori. They are generally carnivorous fish. Moreover, they are the cockroaches of this hobby... and by that I just mean that they are almost impossible to kill. They are not necessarily the fish that you have to go out of your way to provide a varied diet just so they stay healthy. You could probably feed your damsel beef jerky and pizza crust and they would likely do fine.
If it were me I wouldn't feed nori to damsels.

Yeah, there is no reason to feed a damsel veggies, unless laced with something very toxic.
Most flakes and pellet foods have all the greens they need.

stanlalee

well their omnivores but like their cousin clownfish they dont seem to prefer or want very much vegetation. my clown will occasional eat a little algae I free up doing tank maintenence and she'll eat formula 2 (which is mostly meaty even though its green) but it wont touch an algae sheet. if they want algae they'll get it from the tank. otherwise they get all they need from the guts of the frozen mysis/plantkton or omnivore preperations you feed.

jackri

Trying to give a damsel nori is like giving a dog a head of lettuce... it "might" take it but it'd rather have a chicken dinner.
Save the nori for tangs imo. Damsels have a hard time suffering from deadness even if sometimes you want the little bullies to die. Just don't try and expect results out of this.