tube anemone - hot pink

shrimpi

yeah the center even looks like that in daytime!
this is a daytime pic... crapier camera.... in the SHADE
PLEASE DONT ASSUME THIS ONE IS FOR THE CONTEST GUYS LOL!!!

shrimpi

none its non photosynthetic!!! but it does get big and has long reaching tentacles so it 'could' eat a fish although, Ive never had any problem, even with my late slow moving 'not so smart' mandarin swimming right through its tentacles. Its a very cool addition to the tank.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by dborne3
what lighting is required for that anemone

Its also not an anemone even though they call it one.

shrimpi

its a tube worm 'ceriathus' something or other, Im not sure exactly.
Maybe someone can chime in that knows the full name.
Jess

shrimpi

it has all the 'charecteristics' of an anemone as far as feeding. That being: tentacles, stinging, grabbing, meat-eater.
Supposedly it will grab whatever walks by, but I have never had any fatalities and mine is in a tank with very susceptible prey such as hermies, snails, nudibranch, pompom crab, and my late mandarin.
- just like a anemone but in a tube, and doesnt need light. (thats the short version)
Jessica.

renogaw

will clowns host it?
i may end up buying one of these and putt it in the back corner where not much goes near (all because of htis contest btw swf.com :)

perfectdark

Originally Posted by renogaw
will clowns host it?
i may end up buying one of these and putt it in the back corner where not much goes near (all because of htis contest btw swf.com :)

No not typically, Im sure there has been the exception but they are primarily nocturnal. And dont respond in the same way when something approaches it or to allow something hang out in its tenticles. When my cleaner shrimp tries to rifle through my tube anems tenticles it closes up and dives under the sand.

shrimpi

mine is open 24/7 although at night it opens about 15-20% more- but not much just like I said 15-20% more.
Hes right in the front center of the tank and is a great eyecatcher because of his colors.
I do not believe there is any way a fish could host this anemone.
Heres a pick just the other day at like 3pm

Hello there, I remembered this tread from the photo compitition. I really want to get one of these. I just wanted to confirm that the animal will survive without excellent lighting. The SWF site says the purple tube's need strong lighting. Is there a difference between the colors?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by 987654321
Hello there, I remembered this tread from the photo compitition. I really want to get one of these. I just wanted to confirm that the animal will survive without excellent lighting. The SWF site says the purple tube's need strong lighting. Is there a difference between the colors?

No SWF description is wrong. These animals are completely non photosynthetic. But along with that it also means you need to target feed this animal.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by 987654321
Thank you for the answer. What is the prefered food for these creatures?

Raw and seafood in almost any form. Silversides, clam, mysis and raw shrimp all work well.

renogaw

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
No SWF description is wrong. These animals are completely non photosynthetic. But along with that it also means you need to target feed this animal.

so if you're used to feeding a sun coral, taking care of these is just as easy?