Tube Anemone's questions / info

chipmaker

Ok, my lfs has a few that they got in . Pretty neat looking and they do have some bold vivid flowing tentacles. Evidently they are not dependant on light as a lot of the pics I have seen in the books I have with them in it are in tanks with other stuff that is not all that dependant on light. The lfs is kind of slim on the info on them as well.
The info in mny books is also kind of vague..Feed whole or chopped shrimp and fish.....reef safe, thats about it.....ANyone have any T/A's and what and how do yu take care of them. Do they need to be buried in sand bed or can they lay on sand bed....or live rock, how much current flow etc..any info or first hand experieince appreciated.

steve24

hi,
i had a purple tube anemone until about a month ago...
i fed mine chunks of "cocktail" shrimp, pieces of squid and umm a clown fish...
i had it in the sandbed where it dug itself deeper into...
they are lovely, didn`t really want to get rid of mine but not gonna have something eating a $20 meal unless its me...lol
their tenticales(sp?) in the evening and night streatch WAY out, mine streatched out close to 10 inches, waiving in the water and into the clowns sleeping spot grrrrr...
hope i helped some anyways, and heres a pic of the one i HAD !!!
steve

ophiura

I believe that some people "build" tubes for them with PVC. They pack a nasty sting, I would be wary of them with some fish and corals...the tentacles can be very long.
Best article I've seen if you haven't found it....
Google "Toonen Cerianthid Anemone"

chipmaker

Well since the tank the wife wanted to put it in is a nano, it probably would not be a good choice. Thanks y'all for the info. Just reading what is in the books I have gives the impression they are fine for a reef tank and are not problematic to anything.

bchbum189

i have a semi small one, tenticals probably 3 inches long streched out in a 15 gal tank and i havent had any problems since i got it about 8 mths ago. Awsome looking creatures though, i think they are worth it