tug of war with emerald crab

Ever try playing tug of war with an emerald crab? Well, today I placed a piece of Formula 1 on the end of a toothpick because i wanted to try and feed my new Scott's Fairy Wrasse I received today. He wasn't taking food that I dropped into the tank. I carefully dislodged the small piece of food off the toothpick and close to the wrasse. Still not sure if he ate it. All of a sudden I saw two small claws appear from underneath a rock. The emerald crab was trying to grab my toothpick. So i waved the end of the toothpick near him and he immediately grabbed it. I couldn't believe how much power that guy had. He almost ripped the toothpick from my hand. I wasn't ready for such a pull. I was easily amused for 5 minutes and then gave up. If you ever get bored, try playing tug of war with your emerald crab. :)

toddius

My emeralds started off with a body size of a dime and now are larger than a quarter. These little suckers sure grow fast. :eek:

K

krustytheclownfish

Tell me about it. Today I was doing something in my tank and I touched my emerald crab. Usually it would crawl away when bothered, but it didn't move. I touched it again and it still didn't move. I then picked it up and thought oh great it's dead. I even closely inspected it before I flushed it down the toilet. I then went back to my tank and continued doing what I was doing. All of a sudden my emerald crab came out from under a rock. I had to look twice. I couldn't believe at how much its molt looked like the real thing. A little lighter in color, but that's it. Pretty cool trick.

K

krustytheclownfish

Oh yeah, do you guys leave the molts in the tank or take them out?