Turbo-Twist 3x --- Mega problems!

Last Friday, I left town for 3 days to attend a business convention in New Orleans, and when I arrived home at approx 1:00am yesterday morning (Monday), I immediately looked in on the tank, and did a much needed water top-off. Since the lights were off, everything seemed normal, except I did notice that my snails seemed sluggish (no pun intended), and 1 of my Flame Scallops was unattached from the rocks and seemed to be a bit retracted...
When I got home from the office last evening, things looked a bit worse, and In noticed a huge red-slime outbreak in the fuge (it wasn't there yesterday morning
), so I diligently cleaned all of that out. At this point, the majority of my corals were now retracted, but since I was playing in the fuge and sump, I didn't think to much of it, and figured they would be back out in an hour or so... Since I had only been able to get roughly 6 hours sleep since last Thursday, I crashed around 7:30 last night, and when I awoke this morning, I saw that the corals were looking even worse, and the snails were now off the glass, and laying at the bottom of the tank. I was running late for work, but I did change the micron filter in my Magnum-350, to hopefully do something (anything at this point
).
Thank God, when I got to work this morning, I was ordered to go home and get some rest for the next 2 days. My lack of sleep was due to having visited w/ friends in Slidel, LA on Saturday evening, which turned into an all night affair when my buddy's new 22' boat sank in the bayou... Damn if that didn't make for a long night of "Operation Salvage & Motor repair"! :eek:
Anyways, when I got back home from the office this morning, I saw that things were even worse than they were 2 hours earlier, so I immediately tested all of the levels and found that the ammonia was suddenly showing at .20, and everything else was zero's -- my calcium was about 460. Being puzzeled about the ammonia, I decided to check to make sure all of the pumps were running properly, and they were. Just as I was putting all of my pumps back in place, I noticed there was no glow coming from my UV sterilizer, so I turned it off and opened it up to be sure it wasn't slimed up with something... When I opened the top tube, water poured out of the bulb housing, and I saw that the electrical components had somehow shorted out, and melted the gaskets, allowing water to circutate directly around the bulb. This obviously caused the bulb to explode at the base, and now there was all sorts of pasty gunk around the inside of the housing.
I instantly took the now dead Turbo-Twist of of the loop, and replumbed my sump. After everything was back in place, I tehn noticed that my titanium grounding probe was literally eaten up, due to voltage spikes, and was no longer able to function, all the while, 120v was being pumped throughout the entire water system. I stripped the wires and placed them directly into the sump, and immediately upon having done that, my fish all became quite active again.
I have a call into Coralife, and hope that they will take an active interest in this situation, as well as possibly compensate me for any loss of livestock -- so far, it seems to just be 7 turbo-snails and 2 scallops, but the corals don't appear to be doing very well. I figure the loose 120 voltage killed off bacteria, thus causing the ammonia spike, and unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that, since I don't have any fresh salt water currently made up, I did a 20% water change last week before I left town.
Here are the pics of the Turbo-Twist and of the tip of the grounding probe.

tony detroit

[hr]
the trusty Eco Aqualizer would solve water quality problems I thought

[hr]
j/k
Sorry bout your loss
did you ever buy that thing?

It's funny that Tony mentioned the Eco-Aqualizer, because I did buy it, and it is a joke, and it is going back, and I will get a 100% refund... So yes, I tried it, but I'm not out a dime for having done so! ;)
I just got back from a quick run into the LFS for some charcoal, Amquel and a new grounding probe. I have been making RO water since this morning, and will do a 25% water change tomorrow morning.
Additionally, I have moved my 7 Turbo snails into the fuge, so that they cannot be harmed by the crabs, which are very much alive. I also placed the 1 scallop that I could get to, into the fuge as well. So far, everything is still alive, but only barely holding on... My mushrooms are still somewhat shriveled up, but have flatened out a bit, and my flower pot is beginning to poke it's tenacles out. Unfortunately, my yellow colonial polyps and brown button polyps have yet to even attempt to open up today.
At the very least, I thank GOD that I had a grounding probe, or I would have received a potentially fatal 120v jolt as soon as I placed my hands in the tank... I will definately be installing a GFCI outlet tomorrow! :eek:

offshore80

Wow crusty I got a turbo twist too. But mines the 18 watt. I hope this isn't a problem with the whole line and was just a isolated incident. Sorry it happened to you and thanks for the warning. I to am now going to get a grounding probe.

My corals are slowly beginning to come out, and the fish have all relaxed and seem to be "stress free" once again, but it does appear that the 7 Turbo's and 2 Flame Scallops are definately going to die because of all of this...
I did speak w/ Coralife quickly yesterday afternoon, and they are forwarding me on to another guy for a final decision as to any additional compensation over and above a replacement unit. At the very least, I think they should owe me another grounding probe as well.
I'll report back as to what happens, and as to how well the corals pull through all of this. On the flip side, my Carpet Anenome suddenly got huge and looked as though it was having a seizure, it was also changing colors like a Cuddlefish all day yesterday... Bizarre, but beautiful -- It does seem to be back to normal this morning though.
Other than re-plummbing the system and putting in another grounding probe, the only thing I really did was add Amquel, Cycle and run carbon through a Magnum-350 all night. I'll continue the carbon for a few more days, as well as add more Amquel after a partial water change today.

D

daniel411

Ouch! Really sad to hear all of your loss. Glad most of it might be saved, and atleast there wasn't a fire out of it!
Did your breaker/gfci outlet trip at all? Best of luck dealing with the manufacturer.

Originally posted by Daniel411
Did your breaker/gfci outlet trip at all? Best of luck dealing with the manufacturer.

I don't have a GFCI installed yet, and NO, the breaker on the power strip didn't trip!

I just received a call from Coralife's service manager, and he has offered to replace the fried 3x, with a new 6x unit, and has also asked me to let him know how the livestock fares through all of this... I was then asked to look through their website, to see what items I could use as "compensation" for lost livestock... As the losses stand now (snails & scallops), I will decline accepting anything other than the upgrade to the 6x, and would like a replacement grounding probe, for the one that got eaten. I bought a new probe yesterday, but would be happy w/ a spare.
I was told that while they do not
make any warranties outside of their actual equipment, there are sometimes extenuating circumstances that call for such actions.
FWIW:
I have dealt w/ lots of companies on warranty issues throughout the years, and Coralife now sits at the top of the positives list! :)

D

daniel411

Thats great to hear they were so quick to respond, sound sympathetic, and are willing to go "beyond" the warranty for your losses.
Cheers to Coralife, okay... just another excuse to drink.. ;)

beaslbob

Crusty:
Just a thought here and probably not much help. Regardless of what the company's policy is, they are always responsible for damage their equipment causes. It just may not be worth getting a judgement and then collecting on that judgement.

D

daniel411

Originally posted by beaslbob
Crusty:
Just a thought here and probably not much help. Regardless of what the company's policy is, they are always responsible for damage their equipment causes. It just may not be worth getting a judgement and then collecting on that judgement.

Not true... now only if I knew how to put the no no no waving finger little symbol :(

Crusty, I am glad that coralife is standing by their products and that you have managed to save most everything. Thank you for posting your experience with coralife it is nice to see someone take responsibility for their product.
Rich

dreeves

I am thinking you should collect on what you can. What if you didnt have a grounding probe? There are many what ifs here.
Did they ask for the unit to be returned so as they can inspect it and try and determine the cause (defective design, materials or what have you)?
It would seem to me a responsible company of which sells electrical merchandise for water usage would want to check everything out to ensure they are producing a safe to use product.
You never know...yours could have been the 10th one this week to do that..the next one may be the unlucky one who gets fried!
Think about it.

Originally posted by dreeves
I am thinking you should collect on what you can. What if you didnt have a grounding probe? There are many what ifs here.
Did they ask for the unit to be returned so as they can inspect it and try and determine the cause (defective design, materials or what have you)?
It would seem to me a responsible company of which sells electrical merchandise for water usage would want to check everything out to ensure they are producing a safe to use product.
You never know...yours could have been the 10th one this week to do that..the next one may be the unlucky one who gets fried!
Think about it.

It is already packaged up, and being shipped back to them today. I am also shipping the destroyed grounding probe (even though it wasn't one of theirs), so they can see the level of damage that was involved.
At this point, all of the corals are starting to open back up very slowely, and I figure it will take a few days for the "shock" to wear off... A couple of individual mushrooms have detached, and are curled up, so hopefully they will reattach and pull through. I did mention this to the guy that called me, and he said they were probably trying to move away from the electrical currents.
The one thing that I failed to mention here, was the pH drop. I generally keep my pH at 8.4, but when this happened, it instantly dropped to 8.1, but was probably on it's way to well below that, because when I added a lot of SeaChem buffer, I was only able to maintain 8.2. I waited a couple of hours, tested again, and then added 4-Tbs of baking soda, to regain control of the pH.
I also noticed last evening, that a lot of my macro's have suddenly turned transparent, but are still very "crisp" as if it were new growth, rather than die-off... Since I don't generally pay that close of attention, it may very well be new growth. Electrical current is known to stimulate plant growth, but I'll watch it closely for a few days. I did thin some of it out, since it was getting to that point anyway, but I would have rather waited before doing so -- Better to be SAFE than sorry!

Okay, the excessive transparency in the macros was due to unexpected rapid growth, because it was all a nice lush green this morning. ;)
Also, my Flower Pot seems to be bouncing back nicely as well... I took this pic this morning under 130w Actinic PC's, before the other 130w of 10k's came on. Hopefully, within a couple more days, it will regian it's full extensions. This used to spread out several inches across, like a blooming onion.

tunze

After looking at that grounding probe I would say you are extremely fortuante you were not injured.

bang guy

Originally posted by CrustyTheClown
I also noticed last evening, that a lot of my macro's have suddenly turned transparent,

This is the first sign of sporulation. I suggest you remove most if not all of the clear stems. New growth is normally white for green macroalgae.

Originally posted by Bang Guy
This is the first sign of sporulation. I suggest you remove most if not all of the clear stems. New growth is normally white for green macroalgae.

It was mostly new growth, with a few branches of die-off...