Two months in and here I am....

shwstpr88

Hello everyone thanks to reading the boards I think I am doing very well with my 125 gallon marine/reef tank. I currently have 1 porcupine puffer, 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, 4 yellow tail damsels, 3 emerald crabs 20 blue/red hermit crabs, yellow tang, and last night I bought my vey first coral. There was a huge 50% off sale last night so I got my first coral!!! I really dont know what its called but the guy said it needed low flow and so so lights so it sounded perfect! Here are a few pictures of where I am at:

And yes I know you all wil not like the puffer in there but he really doesnt bother anything at all, actually hes quite boring unless I am near the tank, hes so trained since my 30 gallon tank to know that his only food is coming from my hand, hes the best fish ever. He does tricks for me when I feed him he can really launch water now too its too funny. His latest trick though is doing back flips for his food Ill have to try to take a video of that and post it.
If someone would chime in on my coral though I would appreciate it I know its not the best picture but its with my iphone so no zoom. Thanks and hope you enjoy!

spanko

Originally Posted by shwstpr88
http:///forum/post/2949630
If someone would chime in on my coral though I would appreciate it I know its not the best picture but its with my iphone so no zoom. Thanks and hope you enjoy!
Tis a standard clove polyp.Clavularia sp.
Fast growing sometimes invasive. Easy to care for. No intense light required. No supplemental feeding required. Will probably do well right where it is. You can place some smaller pcs. of rock rubble around it there and it will grow over to them. This will give you frags that you can sell, trade, give away or put in other areas of your tank.

shwstpr88

Thanks Joe your a big reason why I go so far so fast, I am getting my actual digital camera back on thursday Ill take a picture of the whole crew inside. What would be a suggestion for another coral? How long would you wait? I do need to get a test kit as I only have a test kit for the fish....PH, trites, trates, and ammonia.
Thanks for helping me on the coral ID too good to know!

cj_build

I would try some mushrooms next. I have keet them with a shop light before (they didnt grow but stayed alive)
The puffer, be careful I had a blue spot and he ate my mandarin, condaluctus anemone (ya i suck at spelling and to lazy to google it right now) and he also chomped on my plastic plants i had. Girlfriends daughter loved him till she saw him eat her favorite fish. The yellow tails are very terriotory (sp) so be warned once they mature they get to be grumpy old men.
The tank looks wonderful

shwstpr88

Ya the damsels are a little fiesty they kinda "Greet" new tank mates for a day at the most and then they just kind of pick on each other. If they got too bad it would yank em and to the hospital tank they go lol. Ya I have heard alot of bad about the puffers but so far knock on wood mine is ver docile he just lays in his cave all day and waits for me to get home and them he comes to the top of the tank for his food and back to his cave.....must be the life I dont think hes too worried about our economy

florida joe

I would look into plate coral although considered fairly delicate and aggressive I think you can handle it

C

crashjt

I think that is also called pulsing Xenia.....am I wrong??

shwstpr88

Ya I can see myself liking a coral like that Joe good idea. I want to get things that are very bright and colorful

oceansidefish

What kind of lights are those exactly??? That would help us.... Agreed that shrooms would be a good bet...Personally I would beef up your bio filter with some more live rock. It will help as those fish grow

shwstpr88

Ill have to take a picture of my sump I still have a bunch more live rock down there too I have a 55 gallon sump/refugium as well.