Two questions please...after seeing SteveWeast's tank

spruce

Two questions please...
1) After seeing steveweast's tank I am wanting to upgrade my lights again...I currently have a 48" JBJ Delux Formosa unit. Does anyone know if would be possible to disasemble this unit and buy a canopy and retro fit the unit in the canopy? If so I am thinking about doing this and getting some MH.
2) Again, after seeing that post with steveweast's reef pic I noticed he has a CopperBand Butterfly in that beatifull reef of his. I love that fish, but I'm under the understanding that a Copperband Butterfly is not reef safe, and it would eat corals.....hmmm... Steve sure seems like a pro and he has one in his reef though??? Any insight on this??
Thanks,
Spruce
*Sorry for the poor spelling*

steveweast

Spruce, I can't really say much on the light except that the light needs to match the needs of the specimens that you want to keep. While at first glance my system seems to be all sps, it is far from it. Other non sps inhabitants include....Alveopora, Goniopora, Hammer coral, Xenia, Star polyps, Trachyphyillia (open brain), Favia, Cynarinia, Blastomussa, Sinularia, Mushrooms, Ricordia, four maximus clams, one Haddoni carpet anemone, and several rose anemones. I feel a variety of corals lend a more natural look. I've had my Copperband for almost two years now...I've never seen him touch any of the above mentioned specimens. That said, I do feel fortunate in this regard....it's unlikely that this is the norm. Like you, I love this fish.......so, I took a chance.
On the light issue...I wanted to be able to keep SPS corals; so, I went with alot of light. This ,however, forced me to create several shady areas in the aquascaping for low light corals that I also wanted to keep ( ie. muhrooms,cynarina,blastomussa,etc).