types of filtration?

erock412

all of my levels are cool, as i am running a very light bioload on my tank. however, i am in the process of moving a 55g to a 125g. my 55g DT has been running for over a year, and i have an extra 55 that i'm using to clean/ seed all the sand i have. being that i'm about to get into this hobby

[hr]
, and the 125 im starting will be much more complex as it will be a reef, i would like to learn about the different types of filtration. (Bio, chem, mech). essentially what im asking is: what things provide what filtration, and what does this filtration filter? (if that makes any sense). Like i said, all my levels are legit, and i'm aware of the equipment needs of my new tank, this is purely for education. Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give (and have already given) me.

florida joe

Mechanical Media
Mechanical filter media physically trap and remove debris and particles from aquarium water. Materials such as fish excrement, sludge, uneaten food, or dust are strained from the water column as it passes through mechanical filter media. This keeps aquarium water clean, clear, and free of floating particles. Mechanical filter media are available in different grades to remove particles of varying size - coarse media to trap large particles and fine media to trap very small particles. Mechanical filter media also helps biological media to perform its best by preventing particulate matter from clogging the biological filter media.
Biological Media
Biological media is any inert material used to cultivate beneficial bacteria involved in the nitrogen cycle. The large surface area of biological media houses an enormous amount of beneficial bacteria to efficiently process harmful compounds. As aquarium water passes through the media, it brings organic waste materials to the bacteria so they can break it down into less harmful components. Efficient biological filtration relies heavily on good water movement.
Chemical Media
Chemical filter media removes pollutants and other unwanted materials through chemical reactions. Used properly, chemical filter media is an extremely convenient way to maintain proper water quality for an extended period of time. Chemical filter media strengthens the filtering capacity of any filtration system by removing pollutants mechanical and biological media are unable to remove. Whether a single impurity or a variety of impurities, there is a chemical filter media capable of removing it.
But this is brought to you via a crazy man as you will soon learn

keith burn

Originally Posted by ERock412
http:///forum/post/2893333
all of my levels are cool, as i am running a very light bioload on my tank. however, i am in the process of moving a 55g to a 125g. my 55g DT has been running for over a year, and i have an extra 55 that i'm using to clean/ seed all the sand i have. being that i'm about to get into this hobby

[hr]
, and the 125 im starting will be much more complex as it will be a reef, i would like to learn about the different types of filtration. (Bio, chem, mech). essentially what im asking is: what things provide what filtration, and what does this filtration filter? (if that makes any sense). Like i said, all my levels are legit, and i'm aware of the equipment needs of my new tank, this is purely for education. Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give (and have already given) me.

if i understand the question (bio,chem,mech)
Bio-Biological filtration--- A biological filter can be as simple as the live rock.
A biological filter can also be as complex as a reverse-flow fluidized sand bed/re-aeration system. The goal - to create and maintain a perfect biological filtration system for the tank.
We all want to achieve the same end-result, which is to convert toxic ammonia produced by living aquatic animals and the decay of proteins, into less-harmful nitrates through the cultivation of nitrifying bacteria in the aquarium system.
Chem-Chemical filters adsorption media, such as carbon, which aid in clarifying water so these filters are often referred to as mechanical/chemical filters. Chemical filters allows water to flow around or over the media and remove the harmful chemicals
Mech-Mechanical filters draw water from the aquarium. Particulate matter in the water is removed from the water and trapped in the filter where it can be easily removed by changing filter media.
I hope it helps.