umm help with 1st algea bloom...

beattyr

Guys,
Having my 1st problem with what appears to be Red Algea. I have a 37gal reef that has been up about 7 months now and now I have an explosion of red algea on the sand bed. What appears 1st is lots of very small bubbles start to appear on the sand in an area, and then the algea appears ontop of the bubbles, eventually breaking free to float to the top of the tank.
I read a few posts in various forums and I just want to make sure I have identified this correctly as Red Slime Algea. I also want to confirm correct control methods. Those being, reduce Na, reduce food to tank and can use the chemical to remove it as well.
Anything else I need to know or be cautious of?
Any natural ways to remove it, ie snails/bottom feeders?
Thanks
Rob

surfnturf

There are a lot of factors involved with red slime (cyanobacteria): nitrates, phosphates, areas of low water circulation and lighting (other factors as well, I'm sure). You mentioned that the tank has been going for 7 mos. so it is possible that your bulbs have shifted spectrum into a range ideal for the growth of cyanobacteria. You should take a look at this article I posted a link to last week: http://www.athiel.com/lib/cya.html
All bulbs shift over time, it all depends on the bulb how long that takes. In the meantime, you can syphon the stuff off your substrate and rocks, keeping your thumb over the other end of the hose to control the flow. If you leave it in the tank it just breaks down and fuels the growth of more of the stuff. HTH

surfnturf

I reread your post, and the part about the bubbles forming on the sand before the cyano appears. I assume this to be nitrogen gas from a deep sand bed? Reduced feeding may help the matter, what are your nitrate and phosphate readings?

beattyr

I'm gonna have to get a phosphate test as I dont own one. Na has been peeking recently,30-40ppm not quite sure why, but I have been doing 10-20% water changes every couple days. Cut back on feeding and even pulled as much of the algea as possible.
The bubbles appear ANYWHERE the algea is going to grow next. On rock, on my green star polyps, not just on the sand.
Thanks for any additional help
Rob

slick

Originally posted by beattyr
Na has been peeking recently,30-40ppm

I take it that by na you mean nitrates if so it is way too high. Have you recently added any new fish?

beattyr

Yea,
about 2-3 weeks ago I added 3 Green Chromis and then after the algea started getting worse, I added a Lawnmower Blenny to help keep it down.
I did have a Magnum Canister on the back that I took off about 2 weeks ago as well, I switched to a Skilter (Combo Protein skimmer and hang-on filter).
My Na was usually about 20ppm and I was hoping the 20 was from the Magnum and switching to the Skilter would help knock that down further. I will be bringing home more RO water and doing more significant water changes this week, hopefully bringing Na down to at least 20 if not lower.
Rob

When you remove a filter, any filter, from your systems you are also removing the benificial bacteria that is associated with that filter. So you will have a nitrate rise since part of the bacteria that breaks down those nitrates was removed. Give it some time i would think that it would go away or you can also scrape it off your sand with your net. Thats what i use to do till it went away. It would get like a carpet and come off in big ole clumps. Once the bacteria catches up with the loss from the filter you should be back in the good.