Umm, what the heck!!

These are all over my tank. This is one of the bigger ones. Best pic I can get..... I have no idea. Gill Flukes? Flat Worms?? Creature from the deep???:notsure:

reef_magic

looks like a flat worm, most are good. if ur worried aboput them try an arrow crab:thinking:
*whoops it didnt edit right:notsure:*

humuhumu

Looks like planaria (flat worms), I have seen a few tanks completely infested with these. They reproduce asexually and sexually, so they can multiply quickly. From what I have read most are non-parasitic and feed on algae, ditrius and small copepods.
The parasitic forms however feed on corals.
I'm guessing from the look of yours, it's a non-parasitic form and because of the color it probably feeds on diatoms.
Most forms are introduced into the aquarium on live rock or new corals, especially form Indonesia. Once the food source disappears, they will too.
The only thing that I would suggest is that you reduce the amount of lighting if your aquarium is strongly lit and if you have corals and they seem to be affected, try shaking them off in a seperate container of sea water and just brush off the rest.
LOL

flat worm it is. thanks, i found some pics on the interweb that matched up. Do you think that it is normal to have so many? I mean, i got ALOT of them on the glass and such. I wonder if they could reach plague levels? Does that "Flat worm exit" have any adverse effects on corals?
thanks for the help:D

Originally posted by humuhumu
Looks like planaria (flat worms), I have seen a few tanks completely infested with these. They reproduce asexually and sexually, so they can multiply quickly. From what I have read most are non-parasitic and feed on algae, ditrius and small copepods.
The parasitic forms however feed on corals.
I'm guessing from the look of yours, it's a non-parasitic form and because of the color it probably feeds on diatoms.
Most forms are introduced into the aquarium on live rock or new corals, especially form Indonesia. Once the food source disappears, they will too.
The only thing that I would suggest is that you reduce the amount of lighting if your aquarium is strongly lit and if you have corals and they seem to be affected, try shaking them off in a seperate container of sea water and just brush off the rest.
LOL

Kewl, thanks. My tank is doing the best that it has ever been. I just dont want to mess it up. I am being parinod (sp) i guess. Not sure if i will leave them, or try to get rid of them yet...:thinking:

K

kistheeze

Don't planaria survive photosynthetically?
I was always under the impression that they were not dependant on a food source - which is what makes them difficult to get rid of.

mdgegs24

Most species of flatworms are active carnivores. They have extraordinary powers of regeneration and they normally reproduce by pulling in two. The fragments then regenerate their missing parts.
I did a science project with them where I was cutting them up and reported on their regeneration. It was pretty cool watching them grow two heads and the such.

beachbumtx

HIya!,
Are you putting DTs into the tank? If so, try not using it for a month and see if the flat worms go away. I know of three thanks got infested with flat worms and they were feeding on the DTs. Once DTs were stopped putting into the tank, the flat worms went away.