Undercounter Halogen Puck Lights...

...has anyone ever tried using them to spot focus specific corals..?
I got to thinking about these last night, and wondered what the general consensus was, or if anyone else had ever given thought to trying them.

dburr

The kelvin temp would be way off. If you are keeping corals, the light from those little bulbs would be drowned out by the light in your hood, you could never "spot" a certain coral, it would never be brite enough. IMO
dan

bang guy

It will work but as stated, Halogen lighting isn't all that efficient and most of the energy is used producing heat.
The coral can adjust to the spectrum but it's not going to be as white as you would expect.

donjasper

There's products out there that I like to call a "light bazookas". (What a vendor selling the things used to market them as). They're like a 1,000,000 candle flashlights - usually with a pistol grip. I remember seeing one in passing at my Home Depot over the weekend.
I suspect that those things would work better on coral than the hockey pucks, but they're pretty big. Maybe if you broke them down they'd be a little smaller. I've no idea what the light source it - if it's a halogen bulb the light is going to be pretty yellow. (And corals like blue like for photosynthesis if I understand it right)
It's my opinion that the hockey pucks just don't have enough "horsepower" to be useful.

krunk

what don mentioned is a big no, you will have too get about 10 of them, they dont run for long and you have too recharge them for 16 hours - i have one.

donjasper

Just for clarity - what I had in mind if that if someone really wanted to use the 'light bazooka' type thing - that they could use a 'wall wart' type transformer to run the thing. (or something better). Recharging the battery all the time would be rather silly. :)

bbreaux1

your talking about something like a q-beam don? we have one for on our boat and they get pretty hot and im sure arent real efficent on power