Undergravel Filter Question Please reply ASAP

kewlgurl67

I have an undergravel filter, and the tubes that the water go through are very gross. They look like they have algea in them, and I'm not sure how to clean them without having to take them out. I can't take them out, because they are attched underneath the plates of the filter. Please tell me what to do! :help:

jlem

I would pull the UGF out and just go with a shallow bottom of no more than 1/2 to 1 inch deep. Get youself a small powerhead and a small penguin filter for filtration. You will be alot happier I think.

kewlgurl67

I'm afraid that if I do that, that gravel will be really filthy, and make the water so that the fish can't be in. And then I'd have to take them out and put them in those bags... so can anyone just please tell me how to clean the tubes please? :happyfish

kewlgurl67

I also have another question about undergravel filters. Do the plates ever need to be cleaned? If so, how would I do it without having to take the fish out?
And does that kind of filter clean the gravel, or do I need to clean the gravel myself? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I want my fish to live in a clean aquarium!:happyfish

jlem

I would mix up 5 gallons of saltwater. Every day vacumm out about a fifth of your sandbed ( 1 gallon of water )really well and replace 1 gallon of water with the new stuff. After 5 days you will be able to pull the UGF out without causing much harm to your tank and any cloudy water will be cleaned up by the filter rather quickly anyways. Your fish will be much happier without the UGF. UGF do a decent job but it is really just easier to go with a small HOB ( hang on back ) filter and a small powerhead:D

kewlgurl67

It's freshwater, and I don't have any sand. Just gravel. jlem: Thanks so much for your advice, but I'd rather keep the UGF for right now, and just clean the tubes. Can you suggest a good way to do this? :)

jlem

I just assumed that it was a saltwater tank since this is a saltwater site. You could just get a brush on a pole and clean the tubes. Your grates will get clogged and eventually need cleaned or else they will cause water quality problems.

kewlgurl67

Sorry I posted this on a saltwater message board and all, but I just couldn't seem to find anyone else that could help. To clean the grates, I need to take them out, right?

squidd

IF...the gravel is not too deep and all you want to do is clean the tubes, you can "sweep" the gravel away from the base of the tube, and then "twist" the tube out for cleaning/replacement..
Or you can get a 1" "bottle" or "tube" brush and remove the powerhead and clean it from the top...
Neither method should disturb your "UGF" plates

T

thomas712

Tubes are cheap and can be cut to size. Remove the graval around the tubes and replace. Also when vaccuming, remove the entire hood if there is one and place your vaccum over the tubes down to the gravel. You won't believe what will come out of there.
Thomas

jlem

Originally posted by kewlgurl67
Sorry I posted this on a saltwater message board and all

I think that most of us started with freshwater so by all means ask away ( I would mention that it is a freshwater tank though ). Ask anything you want but don't listen to THOMAS, He has a bad habbit of sneaking into your house and trying to fill your tank full of sand
:yes:
I actually just hate the fact that Thomas can delete me if he wants

kewlgurl67

Don't delete! :D
Since you did say to ask away... I do have another question. About cleaning the gravel: If I purchase a Super Battery Vac (http://www.worldpetsupply.com/subavac.html) do I need to take out the fish when I vacuum? I have a baby plattie that is just now getting big enough so that it's not in danger of being eaten, but I wouldn't want to accedentily suck it up with a vacuum!!

masterreef

I never liked the battery powered ones, a good siphon vac will work well. Tumble sections of the gravel in it as you do water changes. You won't believe all the gunk that's accumulated down there.
As far as cleaning your tubes, I kept a second set - took out the dirty one and immediately put in a clean one. Then clean the dirty ones at your convenience and store them till the next time.
Believe it or not, there was a time when UG's and crushed coral was the hot setup for saltwater . . . amazing what changes in 25 years.

masterreef

The battery vac is not powerful enough to suck up even a small fish but the siphon vac could. Hard to do if you're careful as the fish will avoid the area you're cleaning. And no, you do not need to remove the fish. I always ran a power filter along with the ug though, you may consider adding one.