undergravel filter

b

I presently have an undergravel filter which seems to be working O.K. But I have recently heard that it would be beneficial for me to also use a trickle filter. I have a brown algae growing I believe called diatoms. Can an added filter help!It's a 27 gal with a spider crab, royal grammas and a neon goby.
Thank you.

wend

Is the undergravel filter the only filter you have? If so I would add a Fluval or whisper to it. They are not that expensive.

kris

The undergravel alone is not enough to run any tank. At the very least add a back filter, but not a whisper, the marineland w/ the biowheels are better. If you can, do the canister and a powerhead will help alot too. For example a good way to set up that size tank would be to put the intake of a canister into one of the lift tubes of the ug and put a powerhead on top of the other lift tube and then forget the back filter altogether.

krazzydart

get some turbos and hermits.... a good canister filter works and you should have a couple of power heads in as well
and set one up for a reverse flow on your Un Grnd Filter
better for your system...

fishgirl

They're right: Get a Wisper2, also, besides your UGF, and maybe drop in an extra airstone as well...seems like you've got quite a bit of fish for one filter and just a 27gal!