UnderGravel Filters

sherwood

I was wondering how trustworthy Undergravel filters are. I've herd that they have failed many times before on some people, but other people said that they are the best choice they maid. I want to know from the people that have them or have had them. Are they worth it or should i do something else. PLEASE HELP ME!!! Thanks

fshhub

Had them, but won't again.
personally
Now, they can and od work, if properly taken care of. but IMO not as efectively, so I prefer not to use one

twoods71

The last time I used one and last time I will ever use one is in a FW setup.
When I took the tank down and removed the UGF I was amazed at the amount of sludge that had built up over time.
Some one had told me this would happen and seeing is believing.

slothy

same here... they are ugly, cc loooks like crap, and there is always some typ of sludge.. after awhile under there

S

sinner's girl

if you use a powerhead you shouldn't get sluge build up. had one in the 20gl when we took it down there was no sluge build.
there is a ugf in the 55gl, never had a problem, but there is also a hang on filter and powerheads. the cc gets vacumed once in a while...(went to do one last night but can't find the tube to clean the cc).
Sinner just set up two fw tanks with ugf's.
the 55gl is two months shy of being set up for two years. nitrates are at zero.
just sharing my expariance. btw, when we set up the 55gl we didin't have the hang on fliter, only the ugf. if i were to do it again, most likely won't bother with the ugf.