Unknown coral

mandarine65

Can anyone ID this little guy for me. It's not the best picture (taken with my iPhone that doesn't zoom) but it reminds me of a yellow hibiscus flower - it's really pretty.

saltn00b

The Cynarina Doughnut Coral is a large polyp stony (LPS) coral, and often referred to as the Cat's Eye, Tooth, Button, Teary Eye, or Meat Coral. Its genus name, Cynarina, is derived from the Greek word kinara (artichoke) and ina (similar to), and as the naming foreshadows, it really does resemble an artichoke. The Cynarina Doughnut Coral is a round solitary coral, one of the largest single-polyped corals found in nature today, and available in many different color forms from pastel to bright and translucent, to drab variations. Sometimes, it is confused with its closest relative, Scolymia.
While it is not an aggressive coral, it should be provided with adequate spacing between itself and other corals because it can expand to twice its size. It is easy to maintain in the reef aquarium and makes an excellent choice for both the beginner or advanced reef aquarist. It requires a medium light level combined with a low water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.
It should be fed meaty foods such as micro-plankton or brine shrimp at night.

mandarine65

Wow! Thank you so much for all the info!
You are totally awesome, I never would have thought to feed it like I do my anemones - I assumed it would eat the liquid phyto plankton stuff I put in the tank every other day! I would have let the poor little guy starve and he's so pretty. From what you say, I think I've got him situated in a good spot by himself. Thanks again Salt!