Unknown nudi??

novahobbies

Unknown Nudi I found gliding on my front glass today. Also seen here is an odd semicircular egg mass in the top portion of the cup. Unsure if the two are related. It's worth noting that the egg mass was found in a colony of clove polyps that ARE NOT looking well, although I can see nothing strange eating the polyps. There IS a colony of blue tunicates in among the clove polyps, however.

I'm thinking this guy MIGHT be a Dendrodoris elongata. It's very hard to tell. I have him separated, but I don't know if I should euthanize or put him back in the tank. No, I know it's not a Stomatella snail...there is no visible shell at all, and he's very elastic.

novahobbies

Bump. Hoping someone can chime in. Anyone seen these??
I don't know exactly what these are, but I just spent the past hour picking about a dozen of them off a clove polyp colony that has slowly been disintegrating in my tank for the past week. Had a feeling the two might be related (the one pictured was taken fairly close to the clove rock). I did a bayer dip, then started picking bodies off the cloves. They were almost perfectly camouflaged against the coral tissue....only when they curled up and revealed their white underbelly were they rally obvious. The curved egg sac you can see in these photos above were also present on the coral.
These weren't "pretty" like other star polyp eating nudis I've seen on the web. In fact they look much more like small, plain, garden slugs. I'm very much hoping that they're adapted to this one kind of coral, and a single specimen that hitched on the coral turned into many. No (SIGH) I admit I did NOT dip this coral before I put it in the tank. Stupid, STUPID man.
I tried an iodine dip first, but nothing came off the coral. The Bayer dip might be too strong a dip on these already stressed polyps, but to be honest....the host would certainly die anyway if I did nothing.

S

siptang

Nudis have very specific need as dietary requirement so if you saw that on the cloves then thats probably the only thing that it will attack. Sorry buddy dont know too much about nudis... why not post at our reef club page?

novahobbies

Thanks Spanko! So glad the forum there works. Something was preventing me from accessing that site earlier, so I thought it was just an old unused website.
Yep. I think you're right. And boy did they spread. After picking off so many dead bodies last night, I put the coral in the QT tank (separated in a plastic tupperware). When I got up this AM, if found 3 MORE live nudis on the colony, and a couple more egg cases. I removed and disposed of them. I may have to do another dip in a day...and it's possible that there's just no hope for this. It's on a piece of very porous live rock, and very possible that there are buggers or eggs deep in the rock where the dip isn't reaching.
I also found another one cruising the glass on the display tank today. Got him out, too.