Unsafe KH levels

twobitt

I am having a problem with my carbonate hardness levels. No matter how many water changes I do it still seems to stay about 16 DKh by my tests. Is this level unsafe for fish or would it be ok to add new fish to my tank. I have a foxface and yellow watchman goby in the tank along with my cleanup crew and all are doing well but my lfs has been telling me not to add anything until it goes down. I have been waiting over a month now and it's not dropping and am looking for opinions on whether or not this is even a problem. I went to a couple other fish stores in my area and they say that it is not a problem but actually a good thing since it would make my ph very stable. I am currently very confused and hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation for me.

acrylic51

Yes I would consider that dangerours 16 DKH.....What are you using as far as test kits? Are you sure the test kit is still valid? What kind of salt are you using? Are you adding any additives? Have you tested your water change water before adding it to the tank?

twobitt

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Yes I would consider that dangerours 16 DKH.....What are you using as far as test kits? Are you sure the test kit is still valid? What kind of salt are you using? Are you adding any additives? Have you tested your water change water before adding it to the tank?
I am using a Tetra test kit my lfs who first noticed it used Salifert. I was using Instant Ocean salt but after having the problem and the lfs saying that the brand of salt could be the problem I stopped using it and started buying actual seawater from my lfs. I have been testing their water before my water changes and it is always between 8 and 10 dkh. I have been doing about 25% water changes weekly for 5 weeks now with the levels remaining the same.