Unsure what this is?

luvmyreef

Ok, so in the 180, I noticed this little guy crawling around my neon trumpet coral. I am unsure whether or not it is a sundial snail or possibly a baby banded trochus snail??
Any ideas on how to tell? Here is a pic. Thanks.

meowzer

I meant to post this too....this is a sundial
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" width="148" />

luvmyreef

Yeah, that is why I was asking, because it didnt have the look of the sundial like in your pic, but ya know how it is. when in doubt.... I havent added anything new for a long time, and I have a lot of the banded trochus snails in there....so I wasnt sure. I will just put it in the 10g nano and watch it for now. Thanks Meowzer!

luvmyreef

It was found on the rock that my neon trumpets are on. I havent seen anything around my zoas and they are doing good, but I will keep a look out for more of these guys. I am extremely cautious and always freshwater dip and QT all new arrivals. But ya never know. He is currently in the 10g on the glass, and appears like he is feeding like a normal snail. He is more cone shaped, and the stripes are on the bottom of his shell. Thats why I thought that it might be a baby banded trochus, since I have so many adults in the 180. But I will watch him and look out for more. :)

meowzer

Look after the lights are out.....I bet you have more....mine come out at night and are ALL OVER LOL

luvmyreef

Well Meowzer, you were right. I have found approx 8 more of these guys in my tank and filter. A couple are the size of a pencil eraser and really do look like baby banded trochus snails. I will keep watch on them. If they are baby snails rather than collonista, then whoohoo for me, cause I need more snails. Maybe I wont have to buy them after all...LOL

S

saxman

The absolute giveaway for ID-ing a sundial snail is to look for its cone-shaped operculum I have a pic, but since I've had so much trouble posting them since the site's "improvement", I've given up on them.

teresaq

sax- I dont understand why you have so much trouble with pic. I have been posting them right along and have no problems -I dont even have to shrink them.

S

saxman

I dunno either T...I can't use my mouse to cut and paste (must use keyboard commands that I never remember "ctl-whatever"), and whenever try to post a pic from photobucket I either get a link to the 'bucket homepage, or if I'm lucky, a link to the pic (which isn't good either). Sometimes, I can't even get my cursor in the right place to edit text. Renee has similar problems at home, so I know it's not "the person", nor is it the browser, as we've tried 3 different browsers.

teresaq

greg, when i post a pic, I click on the little house (when you put your curser over it it says insert photo) I-con above - it opens a little window with a place that says browse - I just pic a pic that is saved on my computer not in photo bucket.
Wish you guys didt have so much trouble- Renee takes the best pictures.
T

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///forum/thread/385951/unsure-what-this-is#post_3389524
greg, when i post a pic, I click on the little house (when you put your curser over it it says insert photo) I-con above - it opens a little window with a place that says browse - I just pic a pic that is saved on my computer not in photo bucket.
Wish you guys didt have so much trouble- Renee takes the best pictures.
T
The problem with that is that we'd have to save literally a few thousand pix on each puter we use, and this is my puter at work (shhhhhhhh...don't tell anyone! ;) )

luvmyreef

Just a pic to update, these little guys are growing fast. There is a full size banded trochus snail, and the little one beneath in the pic. Based on my reading, these snails breed easily in the home aquarium. As they grow, they look more and more like the banded trochus snails and not a collonista. They do not bother anything, and seem very beneficial. so its a win win situation anyways lol.

luvmyreef

I thought that I would update this thread. Since noticing these little guys on 5-30-11, they have grown a lot. I have no doubt now that they were/are baby banded trochus snails. Here is a couple pics of them now. I am glad, because I was gonna order more snails, and now I dont have to. LOL.