Update On New 250 Reef

ktsdad

Here are some updated photos of our new 250 Reef!
After 2 weeks, the cycle seemed to be finished so we started to slowly add the inhabitants of our existing tanks to their new home!

2 Weeks ago we added the live sand and the smaller fish.
Waited 2 weeks to make sure new spike in anything, then added some more fishes and some of the softies. Going to wait another 2 weeks then add the remainder of the softies!
I did notice that the live sand turned brown after 2 days under the new lights.
I limited the number of hours the MHs are on, and the brown has slowed down.
Figure I would wait a few more weeks then add a large cleanup crew to take care of it!
The second photo is looking down the side. We are so glad we went with a deeper tank rather than the taller!

Comments are welcome!

ktsdad

Here is my last big softie to go into the new tank.
Currently he his still in the old reef and he is a little upset since I was playing in his tank today.
That is my Coral Banded Shrimp on his side just for reference of the size of this Toadstool Monster!

escape2thewater

Wow, it looks great! I love the black on black, it makes everyting else stand out so much. I might be a little more patient with adding so much within just 2 weeks though, It would really stink to lose any of your stuff...Good luck with it.
Escape
:happyfish

1968oldsma

2 weeks is a little fast i would be careful you never know it might just be a little dormant or something i have never had anything cycle that fast before. My nano was about 4 weeks and my 55 was 3 1/2 weeks. Then i just added things really slowly few things a month or even a fish a month isn't bad. Thats just the way i do it.

sw65galma

usually unless you seriously stock a tank that big fast, you don't have to worry about cycling.
The cycling will be happening as you go...but never enough amonia in concentration to cause a reading.
I filled mine and stocked it pretty much soon after...didn't wait for a cycle, never had any reading of anything...Here is it 1 year later...still no readings of anything..

ktsdad

It seemed to cycle in 2 weeks, I waited another 2 weeks just to make sure.
I introduced 2 green chromis, 1 blue chromis and one med size clarkii clown.
I waited 2 more weeks, checking the water parameters every 2-3 days to make sure.
Today I introduced a small Green Star Polyup rock, 2ea live rocks with 2 small Zenia stalks and a small toadstool leather (not the one in the picture)
All this into a 250 gallon tank.
Believe me, I am taking it slow!
Thanks for the advice!

sw65galma

Originally Posted by ktsdad
It seemed to cycle in 2 weeks, I waited another 2 weeks just to make sure.
I introduced 2 green chromis, 1 blue chromis and one med size clarkii clown.
I waited 2 more weeks, checking the water parameters every 2-3 days to make sure.
Today I introduced a small Green Star Polyup rock, 2ea live rocks with 2 small Zenia stalks and a small toadstool leather (not the one in the picture)
All this into a 250 gallon tank.
Believe me, I am taking it slow!
Thanks for the advice!

The great thing with large tanks is things are measure in PPM so parts per million.
Imagine how many PPM more you'd need in a 200+gal tank compared to a 20gal...10xmillion more!

ktsdad

That is the great thing about this monster!
Currently I have a 30 gallon, 60 gallon Reef (slowly moving over), 95 gallon FOWLR and this 250 gallon Reef.
The 30 is by far the hardest tank to keep! That is why it will become my QT tank once the all the inhabitants are moved over their new digs!