update seahorse photos

dive girl

I had a camera out and my H. erectus seahorses decided that they would pose for me.
They started courting earlier tonight and were flashing their colors a tad.

S

shrimpy brains

Wow! Beautiful horses! Awesome pics.! Maybe I'll be able to get pics that good one day!

dive girl

Originally Posted by troy989
http:///forum/post/3148312
i always wanted seahorses but i dont want to screw up and they would die..
I'm with you on that Troy. I had a seahorse get a tail infection right after I got him earlier this year. After he died I spoke with the breeder about sending him back the female because it was so difficult. He encouraged me to keep her and sent me another male.
A couple of things arose from that experience:
I met (via the internet) some wonderful people that helped, supported, and encouraged us during that ordeal.
I decided to run chillers on all my seahorse tanks.
I decided to learn everything I could about aquarium keeping (I'm even taking some marine science technology classes at the college near me for fun) especially in regards to seahorses.
If you ever do decide to keep seahorses know that there really is more of a commitment than with regular aquarium keeping. Do lots of homework (I did before I started and I'm still learning). And finally, buy from a breeder. There are some really good ones out there, and on this board too. You don't want to take a wild pony from the sea; that's just asking for trouble. Get one that was born in captivity and that is eating frozen foods.

dive girl

I am. I've seen them courting many times but they've never had a brood. I don't know if he's too young, one of them is infertile, or what the deal is. You can see she's ready to try for an egg transfer.